to all you solos out there...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corey4671, Dec 13, 2007.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I want to pick your brains. I'd prefer to hear from some of you "old dogs" out there who have been at this for a while, not some kid that the ink is still wet on your drivers license. How many yards are you mowing? I know this is a broad subject as properties vary in size in different parts of the country. How large is the radius that you work in? I currently stand at about 24 accounts ranging from a couple 1/4 acres up to 2 acres. when I do the math, if I was doing this full time I feel like I could do what I currently have in two days, possibly ten to twelve hours days, but two days the same. I just want to get an idea of where you solo guys are when it comes to volume. thanks in advance for all your input. after all, isn't that why we're here? to learn from the older and wiser ones?

2. corey4671

......bump.....^^^^^^^^

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

My route is all over the county. I waste time and gas driving all over hell. I do around 50 or so a week plus extra work sometimes. As new business comes in, the ones that are the least profitable go out.

4. corey4671

also how many of you this is ALL you do. Do you have a spouse that works possibly with benefits from thier job? Do you have kids at home? HOw old are you and how long have you been at this solo? Thanks

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My wife and I do 120 acres a week part time (37 properties - largest is 22 acres, the smallest is 1 acre. Will be full time in 2009, and am looking at another 80 acres per week (another 26 properties - largest 11 acres - smallest .5 acres) for the two of us.
    Thanks Brad

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I take care of 25 properties right now. 24 are "average" 1/2 acre give or take and one set of townhouses. Right now 6 miles is the most I have to go from the house. I am looking at another set of townhouses that is about 15 miles away. Mostly mowing and leaves right now. Next year will be fertilizing and aerating more. Bed edging,mulching,small tree trimming and removal. I still have a few gutters to clean this year also. Might even pressure wash a little. I have 6 clients right now that want their houses washed in the spring. I will be trying to provide alot more services in 08.

7. corey4671

and this is ALL you do?

8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I'm not an old dog but I'm likely older than a lot of these kids dads I have about 50 accounts mostly larger yards(~1ac-8ac)
    All the small yards are yards I took over when my neighbor retired last year
    My coverage area is egg shaped from the house I go about 10m North, 30m South, 10m East and 15m west

+1
    Next spring things will defiantly be different
    Things I know for sure will happen next year
    1 You get mowed on the day I'm in the area
    (no more riding thru the same subdivision twice in the same week)
    2 Bills mailed at the end of the month
    (no more of this hodge podge trying to keep up with 10 different billing cycles)
    3 Customers refereed by real estate agents pay at least 1 month in advance
    (haven't gotten burned YET but have been singed)
    4 Customers will only get 1 skip between cuts
    (Not going to break out the bushhog anymore)

9. corey4671

I've got the route thing down pat. you either get done when I'm in the area or you don't get done. on the days I am at work, I just mow my way home. on saturdays and other days off, get up early, grab some grub and go to the fartherest job from the house and mow my way back home.

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm an old dog @ 50 with 16 yrs at this ,part time however. The real question is what is your productivity or laws per hour solo. I can still cut ,trim ,edge and blow 2 [1/4 acre] lawns per hour with a very tight route. I have many multiple lawns on a street situations. With my sons help [19] we can do 4-5 lawns in an hour under the same conditions. I would not think of trying to work at that pace for 10 to 12 hours though. We have developed a different mind set because we are part time . I work in the evenings after my full time job but our productivity is very good.