To bag or mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bjp, Dec 12, 2005.

1. bjp

bjp LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. I am beginning the process of learning what it takes to become a LCO. I have been spending time researching and viewing this site. My question is, is it better to bag grass clippings, mulch, or discharge? What do most customers like? What looks the best? If you choose one type, what type of mower would be the best for that application? My wife has accepted a great job in Wisconsin and I am looking at going into the lawn and landscape business. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to LS!! youll love it here, do a search on that subject of mulching Vs. Bagging Vs. Discharge, you won't believe the number of times it has been discussed on here. For me though, depending on the lawn, its either mulch or bag.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you answered your own "Q"

Some love it when you bag, some hate it.

belive it or not. I charge a few dollars more to bag, and I get away with it.

you may NOT want to have your mower discharge clippings. when they do.

they will throw grass and other items very far. Like a rock through a window or a child.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I mulch 90% of my yards and you can not tell any difference than if it had been bagged. I still have the folks with SCBS(senior citizen bagging syndrome) that you just cant convince any other way so I charge them more to bag it.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We bag, mulch, and side discharge. It depends on a number of factors...rate of growth, thickness of turf, customers requirements, raining/wet turf, minor leaf cleanup, near mulch beds, around swimming pools, etc., etc., etc.

Good luck :waving:

6. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

We mulch 90%, bag 5% and side discharge about 5%. Depends on the customer. Costs more to bag.

7. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

Same here. ALot of factore involed, but most of all, listen to your customers and price accordingly. For me, bagging = 5 to 10 dollars more on "Average" size lawns.

8. bjp

bjp LawnSite Member

Thank you for your responses.