1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Apr 24, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Do you BAG the clippings or do you MULCH and why??????
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i mulch. you dont have to worry about dumping the grass somewhere at the end of the day and from what i hear, mulching is much better for the lawn. save yourself some time and dont bag.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I haven't bagged anything, including leaves since I got my first Chopper back in 93. Leaving the clippings puts nutrients back into the soil and you save a lot of work and time.
  4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

you might want to bag the clippings in the early part of the season to pick up all the dead stuff.
    then switch to mulching it puts the nitrogen back into the soil instead of the bag. If grass is wet side discharge.
  5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

we bag at the very start of season...then mulch..apart from being great for the turf, it will save you a ton of time...good luck in 2001
  6. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I use to mulch but with my new mower w/single blades the cut grass is long even when i go over it twice. I tried double blades and the grass is chopped up but leaves a small strip of clippings at the discharge. With double blades the vacuum pulls the chopped up clippings back to the rear of the discharge. It is annoying and takes too much time to blow so i will try bagging. I think bagging with doubles will be good for getting up leaves-i hope.
  7. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

I see alot of lcos using bags and also hear that mulching slows you down,plus I have had several people call and ask if I bag but so far I have only been using the mulching process...
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

True mulching is quicker. No blowing grass into beds or anything or even having to worry about were the grass goes. Clean up is easy and you get a professional appearance when your done.
  9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

spring i discharge but never blow anything in the beds or sides or driveway. i use doubles so it makes it alot easier. but i always carry bags with me and my bagging system incase the yards get out of hand, in 5 days. you never know 1 day their be fine the next its wow, how much did it grow over night.
    better to be safe and carry a bagging system with you than have your yard look like shat.
  10. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Any pointers for trying to mulch damp fescue that grows 4-5 inches in a week? I usually side discharge but I wind up having to blow out beds etc. Any way to keep clippings out of beds that are only 8-10 feet apart?

I have a few premier properties that I bag the clippings around entrances, but when I do this I try to make arangements to dump the clippings at the property. This saves a lot of hassles trying to deal with them later on.