To bag, or not to bag!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by firehoyt, Mar 13, 2006.

1. firehoyt

firehoyt LawnSite Member
    from Bham AL

My question is this: Getting a few people who want their entire lawns bagged (front and back). Most lawns here (Bama) are bermuda grass. My problem is this, the yards are big enough to justify using my 36" w/b although I do not have a bagger. I dont want to be out there all day cutting and bagging with a 21". I'm not enthused about investing $300 for a bagger for a 36", they're huge, cumbersome, and hard to empty (working alone). I dont really want to buy a bagger, but yet dont want to cut every big yard with a 21". So, what should I do? Is there a better way to cut w/o bagging? (perhaps blowing the thatch or running back over it, or getting a mulching kit). I've been suggesting to people that most get their front yards bagged (which are typically smaller than back yards) and the back isnt bagged. Works well for some, but others they insist on bagging. Then there is the problem with disposal. My market isnt very close to my house (where I could dump it) and my 5X8 trailer wont carry the filled bags w/ my 36", 21" and tool box. Just got a tonneau cover for my truck and dont want to keep taking it off to put bags in. So any advice would be appreciated!!! Thanks:clapping:
  2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the mulching kit and just not offer bagging. Explain to them the benefits of mulching over the bagging. Of course if you absolutely have to bag, knock the price up 40%
  3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Right on. I as a general rule do not bag, and I inform all new customers that I mulch mow or side discharge. If they want it bagged I explain to them that clipping provide essential nutrients to the lawn, and that the finished cut will look just as good as if it were bagged. Usually they are just worried about the clippings being visible on the lawn anyway. I do have 2 customers who want their lawn bagged once a month. I charge extra for that cut and I have worked out an arrangement to put the clippings in paper yard waste bags and leave the bags there for them to put out with the trash, so I don't have to haul around a bag or two of clippings.
  4. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

imo bagging is a waste of time unless you fall behind on a lawn..
  5. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

If you have a mulching kit on your mower, can you still put a bagge ron it for those 1 or 2 accounts that insist on it?
  6. All-Pro LawnCare

All-Pro LawnCare LawnSite Member
    from NC

Give them the increased amount for bagging, they'll change their mind.
  7. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I mulch all season except for when im doing spring and fall cleanups
  8. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

The ONLY time I used my bagger was fall clean ups. It makes for a very effcient way to clean the yard, and it looks great when your done.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

For most large mowers NO. 21" is easy to convert but anything with 2 or more blades the kit makes 2 or more separate chambers.

As far as bagging- Go mulch
  10. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I would do as many here have posted and mulch and offer to bag once a month at a raised rate. Grass clippings offer thousands of micro-nutrients above standard fertilizer and are essential to quality turf. I would explain this to the customer in the most professional of terms (as not to upset them) and still leave the option open to them. Grass clippings also provide an insulator minimizing burn out from drought. You can always spot a bagged lawn in a neighborhood, it will be the first to dry up and brown up unless vigorously irrigated. If they go the mulch rout use "gator blades" they do an excelent job of mulching and cut turf well when discharging.