To bag or not to bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mak2, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

:drinkup: This is my second year of mowing. I have picked up a couple of customers whose yards grow so fast it is not funny, these two yards have been mowed 5 times and the rest of my yards three. The rest of my yards never got too tall and it was often difficult to tell where I had mowed. Obviously these two were well fertilized, I try to mow so as to make as little accumlation as possible. My question is, I have steadfastly refused to bag grass, however both of these accounts are luctrive and want me to. The grass is unsightly on the yard and otherwise both these yards are beauitful. Should I break down and bag? I enjoy mowing these yards and they look so good I was thinking aobut using them on my flyers. Bagging would kill my profit though. Surely someone else has faced this dilemma. Bag now and raise prices next year? By the way I do own equiptment that is capable of bagging, so I wont have to buy anything.

2. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

raise the price now and bag it.

3. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

You're using a mulching blade, and are cutting these weekly or less often? If weekly and mulching, have you tried cutting counter revolutionary if you're cutting back and forth? That might reduce the visible cuttings.

However, if they insist on it being bagged - and having it hauled away and dumped - I see no other choice than to raise prices and bag it. While there are no guarantees, chances are if you eat the cost this year and raise next, they'll drop you for someone else. In fact, how is it you got this job?

4. mak2

Damian, I really thougt about if that is not how I got them. I side discharge and do them weekly at least, maybe 5-6 days which dont seem to make a damn bit of difference. But they certainly do not seem like PITAs. Lucatrive now Maybe breakeven if I bag in the spring. Plus I really enjoy making these two lawns look good. It is often anti buisness to love your job. I have to think some more but both you guys are right. Raise the price and let them drop me for a bunch of illegal immigrants. Damn. I love America!

5. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I mulch all of my yards using a mulching blade and the chute blocked. It works great unless we get rained out and the weekly cut goes to a 10 day or longer.
    Of course, all of my yards are St. Augustine, so if you're dealing with another type...

p.s. - It's not Spring yet in Indiana? We've already had a couple of 100 degree days here :(

6. mak2

Kentucky Blue Grass, really nice.