To bag or not to bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Apr 29, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess this is a pretty big question for most grass cutters. I was just wondering because I dont bag anything right now, I double cut and blow with my backpack to spread the clippings if I have too . This is just mainly in the spring though. Most my customers are residential and I am sure most commercial wants their grass bagged. I know it looks a lot better when its bagged but it just seems like a lot more hassle like hauling the grass, dumping it and so on. I am also limited to bagging because I only have a short bed pickup. Just wanted to know what you guys prefer? Do you charge extra to bag? Thanks

Lasher66

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run eXmark mulching mowers exclusively. No need to bag, but get the bagged look. There is no way I'm bagging grass for any customer. Regardless of what they want, its toooo much trouble and I'm not going to contribute to filling landfills with something as valuable as clippings.

3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Where i mow, AK, you almost have to bag 75% of the time and the other you might as well, it just grows so fast and the only way to mulch is to mow every 3 to 4 days, so i have to bag, but on ocassion do side disscharge if able, i do however charge to remove the bags from the customers property if desired, for a modest fee, just dump charges, have a lot where i work and stock pile till there is a full load, but do not charge to bag if left, i also cordinate neighborhoods so that trash day is the next morning so that they only look at the bags for as little time as possible
    AK Lawn

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Lasher66,

I usually charge more for baggong too because it's more labor. If they want it baged they're gonna pay extra.

65Hoss,

I have a question. How high can you cut the grass when mulching it? I deal with some pretty thick grass on some lawns and some thin blends on other lawns. The dealer says the Scag mulch kit sucks and it's not worth it. What would you suggest?

5. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Hoss is gonna tellya to get an Exmark.LOL

I was raised in Upstate NY before I moved to Tennessee and I can testify that bagging is among the many cultural differences between the North and South.

In the North, it was bag or die. Everyone bags. When the "environmental" attitudes were peaking, people composted the clippings in a bin in the back yard, but you had to bag 'em to get them to the bin!

Few here even question weather to bag or not. Seems like they just never did and never will. That's alright with me.

I don't no why this is, but there is a reality to the idea that it is cultural.

6. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

Here every lco bags . The one good thing is we have a local nursery thats takes all the clipping for compost.

7. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i bag most most of the time. i find it to be as time saver on properties with ditches the bagger takes care of the litter removal. clippings don't go to waste either use them to fill ditches on my parent's farm. it helps control washout in red clay.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get a scag for 1 suggestion. Ok, maybe that was a little harsh. I really don't know anything about scag's mulching abilities. I've plowed thru many high lawns in the past with the mulch kit on. Heck, MikeLT1Z28 has seen me do it on several occassions. With the mulch kits on my eXmarks I don't really have to worry about it. I've never really had any problems.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hummm...that's an excellent idea. If I were you, I would go get an eXmark. :D :blob4:

10. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch everything. Everyone else around here bags, but there's no difference between my Toro Proline mulching and their Honda's bagging (remember we all use 21s out this way). I do own a 36" Exmark TTHP and mulch with it with mixed results. Double-blading with hi-lifts on bottom and wavy mulchers on top work best, but nothing mulches like my 21" Toros. ;)

I'll bag if a customer really wants it, at 30% extra cost. So far, no one really wants it. :)