To bag or not to bag?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by SummerLover, May 20, 2011.

1. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Try to mulch when possible. If the grass grew a lot I may bag or may just mow twice. Several customers want it bagged no matter what and I charge them accordingly.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Only noobs bag.

3. thelawnman

thelawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Not really there buddy. :)

4. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

You're just in the wrong region of NC:laugh: Walkers are plentiful here but what's done with the clipping I haven't a clue as the land fills here forbid dumping of grass clippings I believe,I do not bag,I'll double chop the clippings or use gator blades in the summer when growth is minimal.

5. Betterlawncarellc

Betterlawncarellc LawnSite Member

I will always see what the customer actually expects before I touch the yard at all.....We just bought a gently used walker MT 20 GHS and it is a bagging dream!!!!! Every claim that Walker makes is completely true and the machine bags wonderfully! It is well worth even the price of a new one with the way that this machine runs and performs.....I highly recommend that if you are going to do any bagging than the GHS Walkers with the power dump option or the high lift dump options are a great choice! Even still, you should always track your times by the minute....We have found that if a one-two man crew doesn't make roughly a $1/minute, than you aren't making much money.....You need to remember that you aren't making anything when you are driving, and that price will help you to be paid for some of the windshield time.......

6. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i discharge everything, if grass is too high i mow twice.

7. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am forced to bag some by the customer. Others I bag because it looks better. In the south we have thick Bermuda and Zoysia Grasses ... if not bagged then thatch can become a huge problem. You can get away with mulching for a while and does look good .. but will be necessary to dethatch more often. I dont imagine in NC you will see this problem much. My customers appreciate that I bag so they dont get grass clippings on their shoes in the dew-soaked mornings.

8. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

we dont even own ANY bagging equipment....been there done that and just couldnt make it work at a decent enough price....it is a bottom line killer...imo....for us it wasnt that the customers wouldnt pay more its just we felt it had to be priced too high to make it profitable enough to mess with...and we didnt want the reputation of being the highest in the area on price..(not wanting to be the lowest either) therefore we sold off all our bagging attachments

9. ny scaper

ny scaper LawnSite Member

I bag most as thats what the customer wants. When I go bid a lawn, I specifically ask..."Would you like your lawn bagged or mulched?" Unfortunately for me, they ALL seem to say bagged. But that way there is no "Why didnt you bag it today etc..?" And yes I charge more if they want it bagged. I offer both prices bagged and mulched hoping they go with mulched, but it never works as the difference is not that great.

On a side note, if a lawn is fertilized and it is starting to dry out, and you mulch it rather than bag it, will the nutrients from the clipping help rejuvinate and green up the lawn? Or was this BS I heard from another LCO?

10. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

this is a good question but its also a bu11shit question at the same time because there is too many variables.. what mower what type of grass time of year..

im not going to name brands but take 3 walk-behinds i have, all running gator blades one does a good job of mulching.. one sucks and the other makes the grass just vanish the only time i ever see anything come out the discharge it when i hit nutsedge or another real long weed.. if the properties arnt to big 1/8 acre like alot of mine are.. ill double cut and bag on the second cut leaves it looking clean as hell and cuts down on the clippings you collect like 500%