To bag or not to bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Nov 27, 2004.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

As I finish up the season I noticed no difference in the lawns I bag from the lawns I didn't. I'm comparing same type lawns here. What are the benefits of bagging/not bagging? Not bagging would save time and money. How do you explain not bagging to customers that MUST have their grass bagged?

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Not bag, that is the answer... we use mulch kits with single Raptor blades,and effectively mulch our yards, cut every 5-7 days, without problems. The only time the baggers go on is for fall cleanup or overgrown accounts. If someone wants a yard bagged, we'll do it, but it's gonna cost a lot more $$$ to do it.Let's go Steelers!!!!!Superbowl bound in '04``!!!

3. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I say dont bag for the time issue+ the benefits of for the lawn. But other people differ.

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would say if you are doing leaves on the lawn then bag it. Especially if you are doing leaves on a per hour charge. Becuase as you are bagging it you can add that time into the hours for leaves. Plus you also charge for the cutting. Gives you more money in your pocket. Just my .02.

JP

5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We bag some lawns but we prefer to mulch. Some customers request that we bag so we charge accordingly.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have bagged for over twenty years until this year late April. At the same time I went to 100% organic ferts. This season 100% of my lawns looked better than ever before, and consistantly for the whole season. Every stop I made my lawns were the greenest and best looking on that block IMO.

I never told one client that I had switched to mulching until the end of the year when the clients were telling me how great the lawns looked this year. I had one client come out and ask me for a couple of cans of clippings because they had not figured out I was mulching. My first trip to the grass dump for grass/leaves all year was in November.
    IMO mulching is the future in the maintenance profession in conjunction with organics and carefully chosen synthetic ferts. I also believe minimal use of insectides and weed killers is really in everybody's best interest.

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I dont bag unless I absolutely have to. If the customer insists, fine but I tack on a surcharge for this added service. Bottom line, if someone insists that their yard must be bagged, You insist on more money.

8. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

I agree with this also

9. HOLLYWOOD6973

HOLLYWOOD6973 LawnSite Member
    from PGH PA

K. CAROUTHERS
    What area of the burgh are you from? :)

10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

North Hills Area
    and you?