To BID or not to BID

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bbpropmaint, Feb 17, 2007.

1. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

received invation to bid today from town for its athletic field maintenance. The fields are currently being maintained by a small , but quality lco for the past 7 years..The current lco doesnt like my operation because were fairly new and hes been in it for a long time..Should i be hesitant to bid on his account..should i call him and tell him i received this invitation and ask him if he would like me to "back off" or is business business?? This is a dilemma please help!!!!!!!

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Why worry about what some other guy thinks?

Run a good, legal, and fair business and other LCO's shouldnt be mad at you for anything.

Competition is a part of any business. If he cant handle it then he should look elsewhere for a career.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Call him and ask him how much he charges and why.

4. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Man Duekster if someone called me and asked me how much i was charging to do a job i would prob laught at them. I would be very suspecious and i dont tell any of my compeditors what i charge unless they are someone that i have been friends with for a while and know they wont step on my yards and i dont go after theirs. Since the guy doesnt like you i very highly doubt that he would tell you what he is charging for the job

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt be afraid to bid on any job. Especially since the guy doesnt even like you anyway. Think he wouldnt bid on something you have?

6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Its up to really, I'd bid on it. Obvisily the town thinks your doing a great job and want you to bid on it. It also could open more accounts for you. But watch yourself that guy might comeback and underbid some of your accounts.

7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

The fact that you care about the current lco and his position show that you are truly a man of integrity and I applaud you for that, however you are in business to succeed and when a property comes up for bid all the players know the rules, you are not doing the current service provider wrong by submitting a bid on your own behalf, but moving in a positive direction to growing your company-good luck with your bid.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

that should be public info to look up what he has charged, id come in just below him, try to get to blow it up his rear if he doesnt like you. he started at some point too! luckily, the larger LCO's aroung here have come to respect my small business as doing quality work at honest prices. they have actually referred work to me! cant beat that.

9. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

It is good that you think like that, i did the same the first few years,but it is a dog eat dog world. You will find out no one cares about you, and your friends will even bid against you, at least that is how it is here.You have to worried about yourself especially it you were sent a invitation to bid that is definitely grounds to bid on something. If you are looking at getting bigger what does that tell the person that sent it to you if you don't even bid.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is a concern fore you .... you may wish to re-think this whole "business" concept n perhaps consider finding a job

That may sound harsh ...but really ....this is business ....nothing is personal .....once it's personal you lose perspective of what is real n what is ego

If some one doesn't like you cause your "new" ...F bomb em ....they have lost perspective of what is real ....n what is real ..... is competition ....it's what keeps our whole economy moving ....it's what our country has a firm foundation built upon

OH .... n good luck with the bid .....you are giving a bid right ??