To bid, or not to bid...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by polecat63, Feb 25, 2003.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I need some advice about putting another bid on a property I already maintain. Here is the scenario. 170 unit town home community with tons of tree, mostly oak and sweet gum. Responsible for the common areas and parking lots only. It's a $30,000 contract, but a royal pain in the a**. I wasted more than a few man hours cleaning up all the leaves and **** the homeowner dumped into the common areas. Repeated attempts to get the association to do something about this failed. Apparently the association pres wants to get re-elected so he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. I've never dealt with an HOA that allows it's members to use common areas as a dump. He is totally unprofessional and often seem like a five year old throwing temper tantrums. They also either pay late or as late as they can. Anyway, do I bid this property and add all the extras knowing they'll pass it up for a low baller, or do I take a pass. I value you opinion...well, most of you.

2. brownsfreak

brownsfreak LawnSite Member

I am just a small guy in the business, but it sounds like a big thumbs down to the HOA. You shouldn't dread pulling up to a job. Bid it high and if they don't like it, its later dude.

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

You need to decide this do i need this account because i need the money then keep it If you can live without that 30,000.00 per year Bid very high. if you get that's great if you don't look for better paying jobs.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

"Charge Accordingly" when you bid it...what have you got to lose? If you get it for the higher price, then fine.

If not, move on and market your services somewhere else. That's what I would do not knowing anymore than what you have told us about these people...

5. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Can you bid this job with clause in the contract stipulating extra charges for cleaning up ***** dumped into the common area by homeowners. I would think that if you can get time and materials for extra cleaning, they will either decide to fix the problem or you get paid extra, either way your problem goes away.

6. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

In addition I would bid high and then offer a discount for prompt payment. I have found this works better than trying to get extra for late payment, and this will hold up in court, we have had judges throw out late charges for being too high but never had one question the discount for timely payment. If the customer complains about having to pay on time to get the discount, my response is you were planning on paying in a timely manner weren't you.

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Rodfather and Casey in that you should add the service you are put in a position to clean up. You have the benefit of aready been doing this job for a period of time now and you know what it takes and what to expect. Simply put "Your time is money" and charge accordingly to what it's worth. If someone else can do it cheaper, let them. Replace it with business that doesnt give you headaches. It's a large account but if they lose you, then that opens you up for new and better accounts.
    Good Luck.
    ps, whats the weather like rite now in VB?

8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it in the first place because of all the "gum balls" that must hit the ground. Although the Walker demo didn't have a problem picking them up. Let me rephrase that, I wouldn't tough it unless I had a Walker or two.:D But with that scenario with the late payments and the tantrum the guy throws I wouldn't bid on it personally.

9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I think everyone else covered the answer pretty well. I would do the same. Bid it high if you can afford to loose it. Add a clause to the contract stating an additional charge if you have to play garbage man. Other than that...Good luck!!

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Try breaking the bid down into labor charges above the maintenance charges. If you ar edoing extra work you need to be compensated or it is not worth it.