To blink, or not to blink...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnBoy89, Jun 12, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question. You guys already helped me out alot with the trailer wiring but for some reason whenever I put on a blinker BOTH side lights go on even though I wired it green=right and yellow=left. Also, when I apply the brakes they go on as well. Anyways, to my question, do the side lights have to blink?They are towards the front but they are on the side of my trailer, it is an open trailer. It says they need to be amber lights, so should I just keep them to go on whenever I put the lights on.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what kinda truck it is but some dodges that have the over head console and the factory wiring mess up. If you bought the Hoppy plug in it could be the "brain box". They seem like they need replacing every year. It also just may be a bad ground. Get a light tester and check your plug on your truck without the trailer plugged in. That way you can at least tell what end the problem is on.

3. LawnBoy89

I finished the rest of the wiring today so I will probably go to the DMV this week. Right now I have it so everything is fine and the side lights just won't blink. I'll see what the DMV inspector has to say. Thanks.

4. PLM-1

OHHH....it's the clearance lights. Are you sure they are tapped into the correct wires.

5. LawnBoy89

I hope so. At this point I only have it tapped into the brown wire. However, I HAD it tapped into what I thought was the left and right blinker wires but I disconnected them since it wasn't working as I wanted it to.

6. PLM-1

One think i figured out on my trailer was that they used 2 sets of 4 strand trailer lighting wires. One to run the lights and one to run my brakes. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why in the hell i had two sets of wires! I was putting clearance lights on and they only came on when i hit the brakes.