to burry rootball of trees or leave exposed somewhat?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

How do you do it and in what types of soil?

Ive seen TONS of jobs where literally almost half the top of the burlap root ball is exposed above ground, and just mulched around.

I have a customer complaining because a few of his trees died, and he states specifically in an email that its because i buried the root ball "below grade", below what grade? The top of the root ball is at the very top, level with the dirt, yes the whole thing is buried.

Anyone run into excess water buildup in gardens and decide to leave each root ball half sunk into the ground?

2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I tell my guys this " Its better to be too high than too low". You dont want the base of the trunk to rot. When you do plant high, make sure there is no exposed burlap or anything like that. It can cause moisture to be wicked away from the plant.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

you want it about 2 inches above ground level, thats a pretty good rule.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Plant it deep, you'll put it to sleep, plant it high, it'll stay alive.

With heavy clay or otherwise wet soil, it is best to plant it above the original grade, but fill soil in around it, than mulch. Especially when planting high, remove as much of the burlap as possible, all if you can keep the rootball tight. The plant will tend to sink more in disturbed clay soils opposed to sandy soils.

Irrigation of newly installed balled & burlaped material is equally important as proper planting. Overwatering is as dangerous as underwatering and if this was not your responsibility, these plants may not have failed due to you.

Kirk

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

if they died with the leaves on most likely its from being too deep or drowning drops the leaves usually too dry. Don't put soil on top of the root ball bring it up to the sides, you can do a bowl if you want.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

planting BB tree's 101:

1. Pick out good stock, no obvious signs of damage.
    2. Transport covered to prevent wicking of moisture thru the leaves
    3. Excavate hole 2-3 time WIDER than the root ball and 3/4 as deep
    4. Amend the soil with whatever is necessary for the conditions (Gypsum, Compost etc)
    5. Put tree at angle to be able to cut the strings wrapping it up
    6. Lift up tree and spin to get good angle
    7. Cut and remove string holding burlap on and bend wire tabs over and remove what burlap you can
    8. Pack half full with amended dirt avoid creating air pockets, good time to add MROOTS and some water
    9. Finish packing in dirt and stake if needed
    10. Mulch a water ring, (avoid the volcano mound) and water.
    11. Lastly depending on temp, customer should understand that the tree really should get about 3-5 gallons of water slowly per day at first.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

dig hole, back up to tree, dig tree, back up to hole, put tree in hole, pack dirt... repeat. hehe just kidding, just remember to handle your B&B like a lady, we had one genious landscaper who bought about 2 tractor trailer loads of trees from us and the trucker (who regually hauls for us) called us and said "I don't think they're doing this right" They were hooking a chain to the trees and jerking them off the trailer to the ground w/ a loader (not lifting) needless to say 85% of the trees dieds, and he of course thought it was our fault

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: :hammerhead: morans. I hope the driver took camera phone video for proof of their stupidity.

9. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

And what ever you do, do not volcano the mulch around the tree!!!!!
    Mulch should be 2-3" deep, out to the drip line of the branches. Ideally i thought the ball was to be just slightly above grade. Just make sure the burlap isn't exposes and tucked back in the hole before it gets back filled.

10. ralphieboy

ralphieboy LawnSite Member

B/B will settle after planting ,I dig hole 2to3 times as wide and about 6 inches above grade,backfill about halfway, water for conpaction then fill remainder of hole,before backfilling I amend soil and add super phosphate.Down here in SC we stop planting B/B late spring before it gets to hot putting to much stress on trees.Hope this helps.