to buy a 3rd mower or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, May 10, 2008.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys i'm looking at buying a 3rd mower. right now i got a 60in ztr and a 36" wb. i mow 100 residential yards and a few commerical. the 60in is good on the commerical properties and the park that i cut but when it comes to the residential lawns it tends to be to big. i can mow all the yards with it but its just like to passes in the front and like 8 or 9 in the back and i'm done. so i was looking into picking up a used 48in wb, so i can mow the tight front yards, and i can have my helper mower the yards with the 60in then we can both trim and edge. i'm just trying to figure out if its worth justifying another mower.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

So your saying you and 1 other guy do 100 residential lawns,2 apartment complexes, 5 medium size commercial and one 6 acre park? Are all the residentials the size of a postage stamp because I dont see 2 guys being able to do all that each week.

As for your question I would look into a gravely 48" or a new bobcat classic. The bobcat classic is a tried and proven machine and they dont cost that much brand new.

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

That is hard to justify but get the mower - back up plan.

Now for a more interesting question - 100 yards plus those other accounts. 2 people with a 60 and 36 deck. You have to explain this one.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly. :hammerhead:
  5. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can afford the third mower, get it. It will be a good backup mower for either your 60" or 36" when in a bind, and you'll find it pretty easy to maneuver on yards where the 60 is like a bull in a china store. If you can find a good deal on one, I would recommend a 48" ztr instead of wb. But, if on a slim budget, a wb will be fine.
    Over 100 yards and 19 years old? That's impressive.
  6. Mowerboy04

yes they are all very small lawns, the 2 apartment complexes are small also the one complex takes about an hour 2 buildings and the other complex takes about 20 min also 2 buildings but hardly no grass. My biggest residential lawn takes an hour but on average i can be in and out in under 20min on a lawn, i also have an extremely tight route. i don't have any stops on my route with less then 3 houses. and my biggest lawn is the park i mow and it takes about 3 hours. I also bust my but 6 days a week starting at 7:00am every day and mowing till 7:00 every night. So does that explain it to you??
  7. Mowerboy04

thanks for the input and not bashing me i started mowing when i was 14 and have built my business over the last 5 years, as of 2 years ago i becaue a leagal business and became insured. i have been raised that if you work hard and you do good work you will succed.
  8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That is impressive. I rarely see that nowadays, & you are to be commended. Your parents obviously have their stuff together, that's why you have the motivation you have. I think a 48'' turf tracer hp would fit the bill nicely, depending on whether you have a dealer nearby.
  9. Mowerboy04

i was actuly looking at a 48" viking i found a nice used one for $1,100 that i'm going to look at monday. if i don't pick up that one i'm going to go look at bob-cats and toros. thanks for the input
  10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you are in need of a 48 for gates you will find that a 52 or even a 60 are better for even tight lawns. Any hydro WB will be much more maneuverable in tight spots than your current 60. The 48 will not be much faster than the 36 and therefor not really worth the cost. I would say get a 60 WB floating hydro and you will find that your 60 ZTR is sitting on the trailer a lot more. Besides the 60 WB will be just as fast cause the time lost in straight passes will be made up for in turns and tight spots. Not to mention reduced compaction and better results in the rain. You will however probably need a 20 foot trailer if you dont already have one. For the record I bought a very lightly used ultracut 60 this spring and so far it has replaced our 52 ZTR on nearly 80% of the residential accounts. It also is the best wet grass cutter Ive used and was able to cut what was left of my accounts yesterday in the rain. That wouldnt have happened with the ZTR or even the spare 48 WB.