To Buy a Commercial Mower or Not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mohawk, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mohawk

mohawk LawnSite Member

Need to buy a new mower...Here is my situation:

• Yard is approx 6000 square feet
    • Yard is smooth and free of excessive obstacles
    • There is common ground behind my house. The neighborhood folks have stated that the area is taken care of. But I'm sure I'll end up mowing back there (at least behind my house :D )
    • Yard should look good after mowing (whether bagging, mulching, etc.)
    • Want something that get's the job done ASAP

I looked at new mowers at Sears and Home Depot. Even their so called "good" mowers look cheap.

I would like to buy a nice quality commercial mower. Just can't beat the quality of the product, cut, dependability, time savings, resale, etc.

I've started looking at commercial mowers. I'm leaning toward Exmark (previously owned a 48 TTHP). They have 21", 26", 32" and 36" mowers available.

With my size yard in mind, what do you think would be the best mower for me?

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone starting out the new year! :)

2. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

What is the total size of your yard with that area you are referring to? Is this the only yard you'll be cutting?

3. JSymons

JSymons LawnSite Member

You will see other threads with this topic, so you likely won't get a lot of responses. You get what you pay for especially at HD and the like. I bought a mid-line snowblower at HD and called back to ask a question later. They were completely baffled (big surprise) but offered me a refund. I didn't want or need a refund, just an answer. Don't expect a lot of support, they just buy and then resell boxes that happen to have lawn equipment in them.

Just make sure you are happy with what you buy and take good care of it.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the Cub TANKS!!!!!!!!! We love them!!!!!

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

For 6,000 square feet? We're talking about 1/7 of an acre. A Cub Tank?

For this amount of mowing, a homeowner model will do just fine. There is no need at all to buy commercial grade equipment.

The typical home changes hands once every six or seven years. A high-end homeowner model will more than suffice for six thousand square feet over six years.

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Even thoough I am not a huge fan of Lesco they are having a spring sale that makes them very tempting. Think the belt 36 was $1890. Throw a selky on it for 199. Mowing that little it should last you a life time.

7. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

For a 6000 sq. ft. yard a 21" will be your best bet. It will give a better cut than a larger unit, and may be faster as well. A commercial mower would be faster and leave a slightly better cut, but a high-end homeowner unit would work just fine and save $$$.

8. mohawk

mohawk LawnSite Member

Just to clarify...I will only be using this mower to mow my yard and the area behind the house.

Speaking of areas...My lot is ~1/4 acre or 10,000sqft. If I take away the house, driveway, patio, flower beds, etc., I'm left with about 6000--6500sqft.

The area behind my house is ~5,000sqft.

Thanks again for all the responses!

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You would be a great candidate for the Quick 36. Check the link at the top.

Look at BETTER

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark's new 26".