To buy or not to buy a DEMO?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I am for sure buying a 52" Exmark Lazer HP with a 23hp Kaw this fall. Now heres the question, my dealer got one at the begining of the season that he allows people to try out and mainly for his commercial guys to use if their machines go down and he cant get the parts the same day. So should I buy the demo at the end of the year for $6050, or should I buy the new one for $7000? The demo right now has 35 hours on it and he expects it to have about 55-60 at selling time. What do you think?
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of warranty/guarantee is he going to give? Remainder of mfg.? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me if you can wait til the end of the season.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I would spend the extra money on the new one. I wouldn't buy a mower that every one had beat on, for a small discount.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a one year old used mower. $1000 is not enough off. I would offer $5000. Its just not worth it. I love running loaners, they do awesome wheelies and other harmfull fun stuff. Stick to new unless he comes down on the price some more.
  5. Scraper

Yeah, but 60 hours? I really don't think that much abuse could occur...okay maybe some, but heck...that's only time for the first oil change. Maybe I'll renege my first response and say if he comes down a bit more. Personally, I still think it isn't a bad deal.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Its the same reason I wouldn't buy a demo car. They only discount them so much. Say a car stickers at 25k and invoices at $22,800. Some crackpot salesman drives it around for 3 months, spills McDonalds special sauce in it 2 or 3 times, dumps a 64 Super Big Gulp in the floor, farts in the seats, his wife drags the laundry backet across the hood....whatever else. After 3 months they sell it for $23k....hey nobody will have a problem paying that. Unfortunately, you probably could have got the same deal on a brand new one.

My point is, to me that in't enough discount. My example of the car is minor compaired to what people do to mowers that aren't their's.
  7. Scraper

To each their own Keith...around here you wouldn't even get a sneeze at a new Lazer for $6000. ;) And that extra grand could buy a few hand held toys.

As for the demo car...I have not bought a new vehicle in years as I have found that a "pre-owned" as opposed to demo can save you huge money and the mfg. warranties are still in effect. Example...2000 Nissan Maxima...$16500. Still have 2 more years warranty and no problems. I could care less if there were sodas long as they were cleaned up....sooner or later I'm gonna spill one and with the depreciation of a new car I could care less with the money I saved. I'll just clean it up and drive on.

Just my $ I will make no further comments on this.
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever been to a trade show where they have machines to demo? You'll see people that have never even been on a murray lawn tractor trying to perform stunts on the latest equipment. The factory reps all stand there and smile while the machines are beat to death knowing that these machines are write-offs and it's just a part of doing business. After the show these same machines are the ones the dealers get to use as demos. Would you want to buy a new car that had, say, 100 miles on, it knowing that those 100 (break-in) miles were driven at over 100 mph. I don't think so. It's ther same situation with the demo mower. Spend the extra bucks and get yourself a "brand new machine"!
  9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the warrenty, its full warrenty will start when I buy the machine, same warrenty as if I were to buy a new one. I guess I am still caught in the middle here, but leaning more and more towards the demo. Most of the hours are put on by other commercial companies that have down machines and need a replacement until theres is fixed. So the hours on it probably haven't been really "hard" hours, just usage hours. On top of that, how much damage can be done to a machine in 60 hours, when they should last well past the 1,000 hour mark. I'm not looking at a Crapsman mower here, its an Exmark. Has anyone else ever purchased a demo machine?
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you already know what you are going to do. You know your market and dealer better than any of us. If it's a good deal for your area, go for it. I don't intentionally hammer on my lazer, but I don't baby it either. I don't care if it lasts 5 years or whatever. I know I will get rid of it in a couple years max. That's just how I am, like to keep new stuff only a couple years tops. Anyways, these are commercial units and they are made to be USED! I would be more concerned about a guy slacking in the factory putting it together than a bunch of schmucks driving it around for 60 hrs. You are getting the warranty from time of delivery, just like a new one, yet you didn't take the new machine hit like others of us have, I know I took the hit, but that was my choice. Good luck with your purchase.