To buy or not to buy Fastrak?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by coolhand, Oct 15, 2003.

1. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

Just about to buy a John Deere tractor 120 series. Stopped in to my local Hustler dealer and saw the Fastrak 44 18HP Honda. I only mow a 1/2 acre, but believe in buying quality and buying it once. Is it worth it for a home owner to spend double the price of the JD for this unit? What can I expect for a life span and maint. cost over a riding unit costing half as much. I have some experience with Scags and Bobcat equipment, how does the Hustler quality compare? Thanks!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

From what you are comparing, the Hustler will do the job with a better quality of cut and less time.
    You are looking at a unit that has a fabricated frame, not stamped and a fabricated deck, not stamped.
    This unit also uses a much heavier duty drive system.
    That is where your price is a lot more than the John Deere.
    The added trimming ability and ease of use will have you done with the 1/2 acre of mowing in about 1/2 the time it would with a typical riding lawn tractor.
    As far as maintenance costs go, your FasTrak still has similar items that need to be maintained, blades, air filter, oil and oil filter.
    You will find heavier duty spindle assemblies and a commercial grade engine compared to home owner grade on the JD.
    This will give you many years of trouble free use.
    From checking where your located, it looks like Dunn Equipment is your dealer, Dan will take care of you fro years to come, and he is the Honda engine expert for your neck of the wood, I believe you have a very good combination there.
    If you add all these factors in, it is easy to see why we are more than 1/2 the price more than the JD.
    As far as quality goes, we have been building mowers for over 35 + years, and we build as strong if not stronger mower than anything else on the market.
    Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you

Pj

3. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info PJ. Dan is the one who pointed out the Fastrak. I know JD rates the 120 as a 10-15 year machine for the homeowner, does Hustler have any such lifespan ideas for a homeowner like me with such limited use. I think anything over 10 years with the JD will certainly include some costs above and beyond oil, lube, filters and blades. Also, the hydro systems, any heavy maint issues with them or lifespan issues. I appreciate the info since this is a lot of coin for the homeowner. Thanks again.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

This unit and the components that make it complete will easily last you the 10 - 15 JD rates there unit, plus you will add another 5 to 10 easy, especially with the amount of grass your going to cut.
    You need to realize, we built a homeowner unit with the commercial features and durability that you demand.
    Take this into consideration, we have made mowers for 35 years, most of these mowers for commercial and industrial use, these units after the original owners are done with them find there way to home owners with large estates, and we still service and sell parts for these units everyday.
    Hustler mowers do not die they just keep on cutting !!!

Pj

5. Steelman

Steelman LawnSite Member

Coolhand, Buy the fastrack you wont be sorry. I have just bought one and really like it. I cut my mowing time in half. I like the JD mower, both of my neighbors have them. I can out mow both of them and all most don't have to trim. While they are still mowing I'm on the porch sipping my ice tea. The fastrack is really built well and should be the last mower I will ever have to buy. The cut is first rate and with the gator blades you want have to bag, but it will look like you did. The time it save me is worth the difference in the price of Fastrack and the JD. But with the deal I got it was not much more than a JD. Can you tell I like the Fastrack.

6. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Steelman. I took another look at the machine the other day and really like it but couldn't pull the trigger yet. Hopefully I'll get back this week and iron out a price for the machine, bagger (for the leaves) and set of gator blades. Thanks again.

7. coolhand

coolhand LawnSite Member

Hey PJ,

Picked up a 18/44 from Dan, very nice machine! Sounds like Kentucky was a fun trip! Do you have any of those poster calenders showing off the......equipment, ya thats it, the equipment for my shed, Dan didn't have any he wanted to part with....wonder why. Thanks again for the info.

Steve

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

We will have the new "equipment" calendars out in December sometime....Call Dan around christmas he will have some...
    Oh yeah......Welcome to the Hustler family !!!!
    We are happy you found the best mower money can buy.

Pj

9. Steelman

Steelman LawnSite Member

Way to go Coolhand. I dn't think you will be sorry. I wish it was spring already!! Did you put gator blads on it. No bagging for me this fall just mulch them up.