To buy or not to buy, this is my question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by C Cutters, Apr 25, 2007.

1. C Cutters

C Cutters LawnSite Member

Alright, I am trying to decide whether or not to buy a work truck. I am currently using my 2002 Mits. Montero Limited, which is definetly not appropriate for such work. I was looking at perhaps a 1994-1997 Dodge Ram, something under say $3,500-4,000. I am not yet a liscensed company, but will soon incorporate as an LLC. Now, in doing this I will be gaining various expenses I do not have now, mainly general liability insurance and should I get a truck, the monthly truck payments and truck insurance.
    My question is this. How do I know if I should buy or not? I know I lack alot of details in asking this question, but I am not exactly sure what details to include. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

first thing is to get insurance, if you throw a rock and hit mrs johnson in the eye, she is going to own your montero and youll be buying her a new dodge ram.

3. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

Call me when you want to incorporate. I found the person to do all of that crap real cheap. Buy the truck! 812-457-8125

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As for the truck, now is a good time to start saving and looking because you'll want a D-2500 (3/4 ton) and the right truck for the price is hard to find, 3/4's aren't nearly as proliferous as the 1/2 tonners but you want a 3/4.

You get a 1/2 ton and you're 1 step up from the Montero, the trannies in 1/2 tons aren't tough enough to pull loads of say mulch or dirt, and they do so-so with 6x12 empty trailers, especially once a trailer is hooked full time. The other thing is, 9 out of 10 vehicles out there are overpriced, I would suggest using Kelly Blue Book to help guide your decision.

It can take 6 months to a year of looking, at the right price for that kind of truck you want to look long and hard, and save your money all the while. So you still need 3-4g, the basic F-250 / D-2500 isn't so bad, but the loaded ones are a bit rough.

DO consider Ford and Chevrolet in the equation, I base the choice on value, what am I getting, the fact that I got a Dodge is coincidental, it just happened to be the kind of truck I need for the money I wanted to pay, but had it been a Ford or Chevy I would've took it just as fast.

If this is your first year or so and you're still kinda new, consider a basic work truck. I drove basics for the first 5 years, they get you there with a minimum of electronical nonsense, sure it has no A/C but then it also doesn't have cloth seats your dirty pants will soil :laugh: Further, the price of a basic truck is much more attractive, I got a loaded one cuz I had more money than sense (not quite but kinda) :laugh:

Because that's what I did, and by the time I found the truck, I had the money to pay cash: No payments, and minimum liability insurance saves me money (If you take out a loan then you HAVE to have full coverage and that costs, all my vehicles have minimum liability thou a good driving record and safe driving practices recommended).

I found mine through cars.com, ended up having to fly to Boston to pick it up, took all that in stride, it was kinda cool and fun. cars.com is one option, do expect to pay the asking price in full and use kbb.com for the pricing decision and you should be fine.

5. C Cutters

C Cutters LawnSite Member

Awesome info topsites....greatly appreciated. Yea, I do not so much care if it is a Dodge, Ford, or Chevrolet (although I do prefer the body style of Dodge). And a work truck is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't care if the seats are torn up, if there are dents in the body, or whether or not it has A/C. So long as it runs.

Since this is the first car I will have ever bought, what should I look for? Is mileage as big a factor as I think? Again, all I care about is that it runs and could care less about any sort of ammenities. Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!

6. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I started out with a 91 Nissan pick up truck that I picked up off Craigslist.com for $800. I put 4 new tires on it and it ran like a champ. I was able to save enough cash to buy a 98 Chevy 1500 and I just put an ad on Craigslist to sell it for $1,500. I'll let them beat me up to whatever they want to buy it from me for. It paid for itself a long time ago.

7. DeepMudRancher

DeepMudRancher LawnSite Member

Im still mowin out of a 1500 GMC Yukon with 99000 miles on it, and its pullin like a champ.....i would love to invest in a small work truck to pull a small mower trailer to go easy on gas considering its almost $3 for a gallon of gas!!!!!

8. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

In the scenario you gave, purchasing the property is the right answer.