1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To Buy or Not To Buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RHK, Aug 11, 2006.

1. RHK

RHK LawnSite Member

Afternoon! I'm getting ready to start my business in the next month or so, and I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with about 74,000 miles on it, its still in great condition (payed off!). Should I keep it to tow the trailer or sell/trade it and buy a new/used truck. More than likely I will have payments again. Do I really need a truck at this point in my business?
  2. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

get a 5x10 trailer wb trimmer blower and trim mower and go with the liberty...you dont owe a dime on it so why not jsut buy a trailer and tow it that way...two guys do it in my area...when i get my teaching dagree i will have a desiel liberty and just tow my trailer with that and it will have a blizzard 720lt plow on it....so i would stick with the jeep...

by the way how do you like it...heard only good things
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not to bash o you but I hope your not going to be an english or a spelling teeacher! :dizzy:
  4. RHK

RHK LawnSite Member

rfed32, I like the Liberty, knock on wood I have not had anything go wrong with it in 74000 miles.
  5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

IMO not having a truck is like not having a mower, important pc of equipment.
  6. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

Another one of your quotes: "sometimes less is more...it just means you have to work a little harder to get the job done."

I say work smarter, not harder. G'Damn.

Glad you are not in my area to teach my kid. Private school only for her to hopefully avoid morons like you! :dancing:

If you want to landscape get a freaking truck. your life will be much easier. If you are in love with the women's Liberty then go out and spend about 6k and get a decent 1/2 Ton work truck. You will be better off.
  7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

first off my major is elem ed. and i went looked over what i posted and two things were spelled wrong and it is mostly b.c i type to fast and dont think about where i am puttin my fingers...nothing has to be right in grammatical on the internet...well thats the way i feel

second off why would he go and spend money on an older truck just to have payments again...thats not smart thinkin on the biz end of things when he can have all the things make a chunk of change and then go spend the money on a truck....the way i feel is buy what you can without spending money where it takes you 5years just to get out of the hole...if i dotn have it paid off within 6mos i am not buying it...this is just how i work and how i was tought to work by my cuz and i will listen to him...hes living large

and the quote is an inside joke has nothing to do with landscaping thats all

oh yeah and one more thing...private schools really are not the best to send your kind unless they are known for schooling not just a private school where you have to test in etc. b.c anyone can teach at a private school you dont need a teaching degree