To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by arkie_3_fan, Jul 31, 2009.

1. arkie_3_fan

arkie_3_fan LawnSite Member

I believe he said that it had a Kawasaki engine.
    20 or 21 hp maybe?
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

When you get into diesels I couldn't tell you about what that machine is worth. I will say that you'd better be handy mechanically on an 800 hour machine. They don't die, they just start to have little things that need fixing. If you are like many homeowners and can't fix them yourself I'd go new for sure.

If you're just cutting 1.5 acres I'd look at a 52" machine you can haul to the dealer when needed and spend the money on getting newer rather than more powerful and wider machines. $5,000 buys a good bit of used machine. It buys even more in the fall/winter, so if you can wait a couple months you might find more prospects out there. For wide areas I'd go with a midmount 52" like just about every brand puts out.

Going with a low hour true commercial machine vs a quasi commercial has some advantages in durability and ride comfort (usually bigger tires and better seat, good for high speed cutting). I assume the D in the grasshopper is for a diesel model but for 1.5 acres a week you'd be fine with a gas engine. But even those Hustlers that are semi commercial would probably get the job done. Just not the low end fasttracks, which might be a little light duty for wide areas. I'd rather have a new $5500 machine than a 800 hour $5,000 one. There is more to break on a machine than the engine, which would probably be good for many more hours.

21/23hp/48-52" would, in my opinion, handle that fine, and give you the ability to haul it around when needed.
    Worth a road trip. This is a great torqey engine and I guess would do 1.5 acres in maybe an hour if it's open terrain.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009