To buy or not to buy????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year in the business, to start off with my first mower was a 48" Scag Tiger Cub... At the moment I have 14 residential accounts, 2 banks, a park and a cemetery.. Of my 14 residential accounts, 5 have fenced in back yards that I am mowing with a 21" Deere that I had before to mow my yard.. In anticipation of growing, should I flop down $2K-$3K to buy a 36" belt drive mower???

2. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Jon99

Sounds like finances are in good shape for you. I would guess that the addition of a 36" mower would definatly increase your output. Do you have enough trailer space for the 36? If so I say go for it.

3. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

If your main mower is a 48 I'd say get a 32. You'll be glad when you come across that one gate that's 35" wide.

4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

a scag 32 would be nice addition . i have one if your interested let me know see ya

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say go for it

6. Jon99

What kind of 36" mower can I get for $2-$3K????? Really haven't priced them too much other than a few 2 year old used scag belt drives for $1800...(same mower new for $2800)

Kinda like the Exmark ECS system....

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I missed it, but I can't believe people are posting without asking: HOW BIG ARE THE BACK YARDS? 36" is a lot to manuever in a small lawn, and since I got my 60" Lazer, i BARELY use my 36. Only thing i really do use it for is bagging, because I can't afford $2000 for a bagger for the Z. I loved the 36 until I got something bigger, now all I trailer is the 60 and the 21. So, how big are the lawns? Small enough to use a 21 on? Don't get caught up in what I call "the lawnsite groove" and buy all this equipment you dont absolutely need. For $2000 it better save you a LOT of time over the 21.. not to mention the non-gated lawns where it sits on your trailer, or worse, like mine, has to be moved to get the Z off. I probably wont have time to check your response, so if you want more advice, you might want to PM me. Hope to help, Mike

8. Jon99

Right now I use my push mower about 5 hours a week by time I mow the fenced in back yards and a large ditch thats too steep for the ZTR.. Not only do I want to save time, I want to save this body!!! :)

9. That 36" would never pay off. It's too close in size to the 48" and wouldn't get much use.

It sounds to me like you need a good commercial grade Honda or Toro 21" mower. (the homeowner grades are just too slow)

I've been looking at this same problem for a couple of years. I need to get one too. :rolleyes:

Dave

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'd get the 32. I have a Bob-Cat 32 and will always keep one. I don't even bring my trim mower out any more. Think of it this way. If you get a 32, you have a good trim mower that will also fit through a small gate. If you ever need a helper, do you want him using a 21 or would a 32 be more efficient?