To buy, or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stripper, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Stripper

Stripper LawnSite Member
    from Ky.

I'm cosidering buying a Permagreen for my lawn business, and would like opinions to help form my decision.

I guess the first thing I'd like is feedback on the permagreen itself. Is there something better out there in the same price range?

I'm trying to justify the cost of a ride-on since I only have a couple of handfulls of spray jobs. I have a very good chance of picking up the spraying job from existing customers. Several of these customers I'm refering to have LARGE lawns. Right now I'm using a Lesco broadcaster and a Lesco 200 gal. spray tank. I'm not setup to carry extra water, and I'm concerned with running out of water on these LARGER lawns.

What criteria should I use in making a decision? $5000 is quite a bit of money!

We're also discussing advertising in the yellow pages to try and grab market share? That topic is in the "Elements of Business" under "Yellow Pages".

I would appreciate any opinions you might have, and I'm always open to ideas!

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Stripper,

I suggest you do a search on the pg.
    There is tons of info on the subject already.
    You will find that some absolutely love the machine while others think they are not much more than giant paper weights.
    I have a pg centri (older model) myself and after I learned its limitations I was very happy with it.
    I am able to do about 30% more production in a day (sometimes more) and I'm not tired when I'm done.

However, and I'm sure others will agree, there is no better way than spraying a property to get the total results you are looking for.
    A ride-on is a ride-on and it is difficult to get total weed control when you are moving at speed.
    You can't kill'm if you can't see'm!

By the way, with a 200 gal unit you should be able to spray up to 150,000 sqft pretty easily if you calibrate properly.

Good luck

3. I bought a Perma-Green in the spring time. If I had known then, what I know now, I would go with a Z-spray jr.

The big question you need to answer is where is your company going in the next 2 or 3 years? If you only want to offer weed and feed to your customers, then a PG will be of value.

If you want to offer other services that require products go down at higher rates, then you should find a different machine or do something else.

The weed control I get with the PG is not as good as I got when I sprayed by hand. I had to move to a more expensive weed control product to get almost the control I had last year.

If you want more info, send me email, I have a lot of things to say about the PG.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a PG Ultra this spring.

I only do my own 25 commercial accounts, and bought it for the mere fact that I do not have to be walking around in the spray dragging that hose.

Even when you wear "booties" you're still getting those booties in your truck, or in the back, whatever, and those sit around.

With the PG, I don't have to touch anything, whatsoever.

Don't have to worry about twisting around, under a tree and not realizing my shirt is pulled up a little on the side out from under my belt until I feel wetness from the hose.

Don't have to worry about trying to get my boots off without touching them or worry about just hopping in the truck quick to pull it up 2 houses to the next stop.

I agree with Pilgrim and Barefoot.

If you're just spraying broadleafs and spreading granular for the rest, it's pretty much ideal.

5. Stripper

Stripper LawnSite Member
    from Ky.

LWNMWRMAN22,

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE IN MIND FOR A PG. RIGHT NOW I'M USING A 200 GAL LESCO AND BROADCASTER. I KNOW IT'S ALOT OF MONEY, BUT I'M LOOKING FOR A WAY TO BE MORE EFFICIENT. I'M ANTICIPATING MORE BUSINESS THIS SPRING FROM A YELLOW PAGE AD. I GUESS I COULD ALWAYS WAIT AND BUY A PG NEXT YEAR TO SEE IF I PICK UP NEW ACCTS. ON THE OTHER HAND, IT WOULD BE NICE TO SELL THE 200 GAL TANK SPRAYER TO HELP FUND THE PG.

ANY TROUBLE OUT OF YOUR PERMAGREEN? EMPLOYEE AT LESCO TODAY WAS TELLING ME SOME STORIES ABOUT THE PG'S THEY SOLD THIS YEAR. I'LL START A NEW POST, PLEASE READ.