to buy or to make?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by P.Services, Apr 14, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i need some kind of a box blade to use for grading on my ct332, what do you guys think of these two ideas.

im thinking about getting a used 3pt box scraper for a tractor ($200) and cutting the ears for the three point off and welding on a quick attach plate for a skid and then using one of those hydraulic plates that tilt side to side. i know it sounds crude and hillbillyish but i think it would work good and i will put a nice paint job on it so it wont look home made. and it would be cheap.

or i could buy one of these from john deere but i bet it will be 6 or 7 grand and it doesn't adjust horizontally.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/cons...steer_attachments/skidsteer_rollerlevels.html

does any one know what im talking about when i say that hydro plate that goes up and down horizontally? who makes it? i have seen it a hundred times but cant remember what its called or who makes it.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Make it yourself, save the money and you might be able to make it better than Deere's.

3. P.Services

dang man that was a quick reply!!! check out the video on the link i like how it has two cutting edges and one is hinged. i also like the roller

4. bobcat_ron

It's more fun building that buying something you can make over a few weekends with 6 packs.

5. P.Services

i only have two problems with that.... i cant weld for a shat (i can but they break 50% or the time) and im not 21 yet dang it :laugh:

6. bobcat_ron

Oh you are so screwed.

7. P.Services

hahaha. i know a few real good welders that have a fab shop in their garge.

8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

One way to look at it is to build it and if you do a bad job and it breaks, you get to do it again. That way your fab skills will get better, right?

10. P.Services

i would rather just pay a few bucks and have it done once and right.