To call(suspected scrub) or not to call?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Watkinslawnservice, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a flyer hung on my door yesterday for lawn service. Not a very professional looking flyer, just black computer typing on white paper. Husband and wife team. They list their prices:

1/2 acre basic lot= $10.00
    1/2 acre, steep hills, extensive trimming= $15.00
    3/4 acre basic lot= $15.00
    3/4 acre, steep hills, extensive trimming= $20.00

Fertilizer= $30.00
    Weed killer= $30.00

Now at these prices I doubt that they have biz insurance and I really doubt that they have a Fert or Pesticide lisence. If they do then I have to say, more power to them if they want to work for these prices, but if they are not lisenced then that's where I get pissed. I have been asked to do a lot of fert/weed control work but turned it all down because I am not yet lisenced.

Should I call the phone # on the flyer and ask if they are Lisenced? If I do call, is there a lisence # I can ask for in Minnesota to check if they are telling the truth? Or should I just ignore them and hope they go away?

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same issue here, family down the street is mowing...reason....the flier states " to make money for vacation trips"????It also states will beat any price on mowing...thinking of calling and telling them to mow my lawn for $ me the hassle....not sure what to do with these kind of people....
  3. Watkinslawnservice

I wouldn't care so much if not for the pesticide issue. I am thinking about turning them in if I find out there is no lisence.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't bother ratting them's more fun to watch them mow themselves into bankruptcy. :p
  5. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

heck these ppl more than likely cut yards w/21'' mowers, (have u seen them mowing yet?) 2 ppl cuttin w/an 21'' mower they cut about .75-1 acre normal conditions.... in these guy's world a 3/4 acre goes for about $20, so thats $20 an hr.....

mpg for the caravan (ultimate scrub work truck) they use is probably about 16mpg, so on average they spend about $5-10 easily on fuel for the "work truck" a day... fuel for both of the 21'' a day runs about $6, so $8 (van gas)+$6(mower gas)= $14 day gas expense, figure another $5-10 for small expenses (no legal fees that the rest of us pay).... in a perfect world your booked for 8hrs of cuttin, but drive time and the like always kill ya, so figure 6.5 hrs of actual cutting & makin $... $20 X 6.5= $130

$130-$20= $110 per day... now divide $110 by 2 people, thats $55 a day (8hrs) $55/8hrs= $6.87 an hr

they'de be better off gettin a minium wage job @ mc donalds and save them some trouble.
  6. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

You hit a direct bullseye with the pesticide treatments. It's one thing to be underbid, that's just business. It's quite another to be cheated. Like you, I am not licensed. I refer all customer requests for "weed and feed" to a local company. If I knew an unlicensed competitor in my area was cheating me out of accounts based solely on adding pesticide treatments, I would call the Texas Department of Agriculture immediately. I have a feeling Minnesota might even act more quickly than my state agency! :cool:
  7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I also refer for weed and feed. It is the law here for a licence. It may take longer to get on the vacation when there is a fine involved. Have them do your lawn and then turn them in. Most likely you won't have to pay for the service. Hows that for beating anyones prices.
  8. Watkinslawnservice

Well, just to clarify, I don't know for sure that they are not lisenced. I am just speculating based on the pricing on the flyer. I need to somehow find out for sure before I go off half cocked.

Maybe I will have a friend call them for me. I am in a small town and if they see my name on the caller ID they may recognize it from the advertising I do.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I like a person with Common Sense and a good sense of humor. You have displaced both in this post. The unfortunate thing is, turning them in, Might be doing the poor soles a favor.
  10. Lawnmedics

Lawnmedics LawnSite Member

calling somebody a scrub just cracks me up. I do not feel threatened by door hangers, flyiers, or any ads. A FAIR PRICE FOR A GOOD SERVICE is the basis of all econmomics. If you are abiding by this you should have nothing to worry about.