To cold to spray broadleaf?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Nov 20, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

NW, Iowa region. Temp is looking around 45 - 55 for the week. Little wind, little frosty in morning, can I still put down broadleaf control?
  2. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Have you had a killing frost yet? If not, go ahead and treat. Control will be slow but sure. Some weeds might not completely disappear until Spring. Neal
  3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, Just stay off turf until the frost is gone or you will track it up.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

An ester product or Speedzone would work best if you applied it during the warmest temperatures of the day.
  5. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

Off the subject, a little but I wanted to re iterate what PhilK said. This time of year when the grass is frosty, don't get anxious by starting too early or you will break the grass blades. There's a term called 'mailman footprints' which we use to describe it. Because in the spring you can see exactly where the mailman walked all winter going from house to house.
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Were going out Wednesday and Friday, maybe thursday if warm enough in the morning. Those are looking like the warmest of days this week for us. Have had 1 hard frost with about an inch of snow but now after it melted and warmed up a bit - smells like spring time.
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This is actually a fantastic time to spry weeds. Won't see immediate results, but in the spring there will be alot of dead weeds. I have been told this by college proffessors and had excellent results myself.
  8. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

Hi Upidstay - Do you have that professor's name? The agronomist that taught me the business told me that dormant weeds will not except herbicide and to wait until temps hit 50 degrees and actively growing.
    I'm open minded - prove me wrong
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's actually a very good point as the weeds really won't even start getting "active" until the SOIL Temp (not just air temp) is in the 50-55 degree range for several days. I personally would wait a little while yet, but it also won't hurt to put it down now, you just might not see the results last quite as long is all.
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This is one thing that I have been waiting for. I would like one of the bigger chem companies to produce a Broadleaf control that will work from freezing up. My Beds are taking a toll from all of the winter weeds that like to grow and Ill be darned if I get down and pull ever single little weed. All are BL but high temps may reach 48 this time of year. Im not usually able to really spray untill early feb when we usually get a nice week of 55+ degree weather before it gets cold again. How ever this year I don't know, it has been very unusual with 2x the annual rain fall already and below average temps. 26 days of strait rain. First break was yeasterday with 3 more comming and hopefully a 3-4 day stretch of dry. Yeah right.