To cut or not to cut:when cust. sprinklers are on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Sep 6, 2001.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: Her's another growing problem this year. Being that NJ has had hardly no rain we have been on sch. with are mowing all year, and i still have people with the damn sprinklers on. We show up at the house same time week to week and every time the water is on i put a note on the mailbox to please reset the timer or even not to water on their cut day, some people 5 weeks in a row. Generally i try to go back not only not to miss the cash but so im not cutting ass high grass. the people i have to skip get pissed when they get doulbe charged b/c i could,nt get back and had to cut twice the amount of grass.

My ? is what do you guys do? Tony
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't put anything on a mailbox is illegal. Go put it on the door.

If this has happened more than once after you told them the first time...we would increase their rates all together and if it happened again they would be dropped. They don't listen ...they screw up our schedule and it just hurts other customers who are doing what they are suppose to do. We do not cut wet grass.
  3. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Turn off the irrigation at the valve box.Service the lawn,turn it back on when you leave.
  4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. Shut the valve off and cut.
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:angel: right on lonestar, thanks i thought i was the only one who didn't enjoy cutting wet grass. rock on. T
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I hate cutting wet grass as well, but after they had a yard of smal clumps for a few weeks in a row, they would probably get the idea. If they ask what the deal with the cut job is, just simply tell them. If you have any hills or slopes that aren't completely safe to cut, leave them.
  7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The only problem with that is that we are not only trying to impress ours client, but future clients as well. You would be making a point to the client, but you might be making another point to their neighbors.
  8. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Don't move to the Northwest. We mow in the rain, maybe even what some of you would call a downpour. I wouldn't mow when the sprinklers are on because you'll run over the heads. I would trim, though and I have been known to bleed off a valve on a hot summer day!

In fact we only mow "dry" turf a couple of months- if that. That's why reels work so can mow in the rain @ the same speed as you do in dry. Ya Gotta Have The Killer Raingear!!!
  9. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I hope they are not watering in the middle of the day!!!!!!!:eek:
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm with powerreel, you have to cut in the rain to survive in the spring and fall, well let me change that if you want to eat you have to get wet once and a while.

once i was cutting 1 of my funeral homes and the sprinklers came on when i was in the middle of the lawn. i finished got alittle wet didn't hit any of the heads. stripes looked good. i got wet but didn't mind since it was hot out.