To discount or not to discount...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mower_babe, Apr 12, 2005.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

We just got into the spraying end of it, sticking w our own mowing customers for now. I had a customer ask if she prepaid for the entire season - just the spraying apps, would I give her a discount. I was thinking maybe 10-15% and she said she used to get 25%! That was hard for me to believe. How much % do you seasoned profs give? Thanks!

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

When I sprayed/spread only, I gave 6% - 10% off for prepays. Sounds like her old "crackhead" service was hard up for money in the early winter. If you know the price they were charging her, that might be an angle to work. They could have added 20% over their normal, then deducted 25%. Ask to see the paperwork!

3. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

We are virtually the same price.

Does anyone else discount?

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I discount 5%, no problems for me. You would have to mark up service to afford to take off 25%.

5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

7% discount for seasonal prepays. About 35% of my customers prepay. I am thinking of going to 5%

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what are the average fees? i feel that all fert programs should be pre paid in full anyhow, that's the way i do it

7. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I give 5% for prepays.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

5% prepay. any more and I think that the customer will begin to think you are overcharging to begin with.

9. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Also 5% for pre-pay.

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I give a 5% discount for prepays. That's the norm here.