To Dixon or not to Dixon?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by motivated1, May 20, 2001.

1. motivated1

motivated1 LawnSite Member

What are your thoughts? thx Matt:)

2. motivated1

motivated1 LawnSite Member

I have a couple of friends that have those dixon hybrid walk bekinds....piece of junk! I've watched and talked to others that have dixon riders. No problems. I just want to get other input. I already have a Snapper 36" hydro I love it. I'm just tired of walking and standing.

3. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I think this should be transfered to the commercial lawn care forum.

Back to the dixion question.Dixion is the MTD of commercial mowers.Personally I would rather buy a used walker/scag/exmark/DC etc.

their was I guy in town that had 1.From what I saw it had a Briggs engine.....agian it is not as well built as other mowers.

You have to make the choice.....hope you find what you want!

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with AB Lawn, I would rather have a used 50" Chopper than a new Dixon. I bought a Dixon years ago and it is nothing compared to the Dixie Choppers I have now. The only thing I can say good about it, after seeing how much faster at mowing this 36" was than my 60" John Deere, it made me want a 60" ZTR and that is what I did, got my first 60" Chopper. ;)

5. The_Outlaw

The_Outlaw LawnSite Member

I have a Dixon 4423 (I know, not a commercial grade mower), that I did use when I first got started (used it for about 2 years), I managed to get by with it... no problems for the 1st year, then the end of the second year I had to have the mechanical drive completely rebuilt. This year I started using it, and it started just falling apart... So, I went out and bought a Grasshopper 720K! Best decision I ever made, it is a really well built machine, and it cut my mowing time in half... (at least that's my opinion for now.... I only picked up the Grasshopper last Saturday)

6. Eric ELM

Out Law, I noticed your other post about driving 100 miles here and there in Illinois. What part of Illinois is this?

7. The_Outlaw

The_Outlaw LawnSite Member

Central Illinois... I used to drive up to the Chicago area every day though... I drive a truck for my regular job... Maybe I'll find a way to quit that and do this full time:)

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Dixon may own the name, but not the quality.

9. rpoe

rpoe LawnSite Member

I have a Dixon commercial 7025. 60" cut, 25 hp kohler. I'm not a commercial cutter - I have about 10 acres that I mow . I've only had the mower for three months, but can't tell you how happy I am with it. Before I bought, I studied all the posts about ZTR's, and most were negative about Dixon. I have to believe that most folks are referring to the Dixon residential mowers. This 7025 is heavy, powerful, and does a great job cutting and mulching. I foolishly bought a grass catcher to go with it and discovered the side discharge and mulching were so effective I didn't need to collect clippings. My mowing time has cut from 8-10 hard hours (sears craftsman) to 3 easy hours. It cost $6500 (2001 model). The dealer is local. I have no exmark or grasshopper dealer within 75 miles, or I'd have probably spent $2000 more on one of those and never known what a great mower this is. I guess I rant just a little because so many of the negative posts about Dixon are made by a "friend of a friend" not an actual owner of the commercial mower. One really wise poster said a few months ago that the best mower out there is the one you bought, cause for whatever reason, it's the one you decided on so it's best for you. This Dixon is definitely best for me.

10. Eric ELM

I had a quote similar to that, but it meant the same thing. :)

It is very true though, there isn't anyone that will go buy a 5 to 10 thousand dollar machine and buy it because he thinks it is the worst one on the market. ;)