1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To Do Or Not Do????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnGuy68, Mar 17, 2007.

1. LawnGuy68

LawnGuy68 LawnSite Member

Got question about applying snapshot on landscape beds.I work for a semi large landscape company.I was always taught and been applying Pre Em. before installing mulch in spring cleanups.This company is divided us older guys do it that way but younger guys are sayin to apply it on top of mulch after it is installed.What You Guys Think ? Need fast answers so Monday I can show guys at work.
  2. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Snapshot first. You want the chem where the weeds actually germinate. That is in the soil, not the mulch.

If you put it on to of the mulch it will actually "bind" in the mulch and not much if any will make it down to the soil.

Your "new guys" are high.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If that's the case, then why put Snapshot down on already mulched planting areas??

Maybe I'm "high" too??
  4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I wish weeds didnt germinate in mulch. If that was the case weedblock fabric would actually work. Put it on top of the mulch. The old guys are high.
  5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

If there's no mulch yet do pre-M first. If there's existing mulch, over the top. I'm high.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i do both, pre treat the beds, then mulch, then schedule pre/post visits. i use pendulm and gallary for pre, and round up or reward for the post.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We stopped putting snapshot on top but spray with Pre-M and roundup when any weeds pop on and that keeps stuff under control. A little cheaper I think and seems more effective.
  8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

How many weeds have you pulled out of mulch that were rooted all 3-4 inches through the mulch and into the soil? Of course weeds germinate in mulch.....
  9. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

:clapping: I agree with you, I have quite using the Snapshot and doubled up on the regalcade,Stonewall or whatever pre-em you like to use and glyphosphate post-Em this has worked for me as well. The Snapshot needs to be watered in soon after install and if you are not irrigated you might be waiting a while. I have had my best results from the sprays.
  10. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you guys spray the pre-em on the beds? With backpacks, or skid type sprayers. Is there enough water to carry the herbicide into the mulch/soil with a backpack?