To doublecheck or not to doublecheck?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We were given the go ahead by the inspectors to install doublechecks in valve boxes where it was impractical to use PVB's.

Now they have informed us that their research has found that we cannot use them anymore.

Any ideas on why not before I visit with them about it?

Thanks, guys.

John

2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

In our area DCVA's are not rated for toxic applications (which is how irrigation water is classified). Only PVB's and RPZ's here.

Although it's different across the country, I would suspect this is the reason for the flip flop.

pg

3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

In our area DCVA's are not rated for toxic applications (which is how irrigation water is classified). Only PVB's and RPZ's here.

Although it's different across the country, I would suspect this is the reason for the flip flop.

pg

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Once the "toxic-rated" requirement (all lawn sprinkler systems are considered toxic) takes hold, the DCVA goes bye-bye. And grandfathering of old DCVA installs is not a certainty.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

DCV(A)s are not toxic rated anywhere. Cites that allow them for toxic backflow protection have their heads buried in the sand.

6. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks folks.

John

7. Toxic by the Feds? Just for personal knowledge can you supply a link that the EPA states this?

8. Wet_Boots

The federal government isn't writing the codes. The original codes language was 'high-hazard' and 'low-hazard' and one might make a determination that you could designate a lawn sprinkler system as 'low-hazard' since you aren't reading about the death toll from lawn sprinkler system backflow.

But once you change the language to 'toxic' and 'non-toxic' you've kind of painted the DCVA into a corner, since no manufacturer will claim any ability of a DVCA to deal with toxic backflow. And if any examination of possible contaminants in a sprinkler system is made, there is no reasonable doubt of said contaminants being toxic.

9. So their isn't something in writing? I'm not arguing your point I'm just curious if their is a Govt document that lists irrigation as toxic.

10. Wet_Boots

No more than a government document that lists any substance applied by a lawn care company as toxic. But there are those little warning flags they stick on the lawns, before the spray truck drives away.