To drop or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok i have one client with a sego. i sprayed some wasp killer on the leave side due to a wasp nest since i was weeding that bed. i come back 2 days latter to finsh some hedge trimming i was doing. the leaves on one side droped. ladys not happy, i would not ether & wonts me to replace it if it dies at my cost. i said i would trim off the dead leaves. so the next cut 3 more drop. so wed i had ric take a look at it on a consultation. it has scale and a fungus in the crown & needs fert. he spray scale killer on it and did not have anything with him for the fungis. ric gave it 50/50. so if it dies she'll think i did it and want me to replace it. so if it does die. should i drop her? 1) i dont have the money to replace a plant that was not my fault it died. 2)i dont get that much from mowing her lawn. yes i could up sell her possibly on fert for the lawn & shrubs to make more, but 1800lawncare does the grass only thou. also this was one of my 1st clients.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Find out how much the shrub cost. and charge her that price for doing away with the wasps. Then give her the shrub.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

http://acs.ifas.ufl.edu/Photos.htm

Does it have the Asian Scale ??? White crusty looking

The wasp spray did not kill the plant ....acually some wasp feed on the Scale

If it has Asian Cycad Scale ... you'll have to remove ALL the frons, clean out the surrounding mulch.... look to the surround neighboors to see if their Sago has the white crusty Scale

Depending on size .... a small 7 gal Sago is bout $25

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you sprayed for wasp that wasn't the problem but the spray probably burned the plant. Buy here another one they cost less than $80, explain that you think it was the scale and don't think you should have to pay the entire amount. If it is a good customer they will pay the bulk.

5. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

That's easy. If it was the scale that is killing it, point that out to her. I wouldn't pay for it. If she isn't satisfied, drop her like a live hornets nest. I see potentially nightmarish problems in the future if you keep her. PITA

Oh, and don't forget to charge her for killing the hornets nest. $25.00 ought to be enough for that kind of chemical application.

6. Frontier-Lawn

well ric treated it with the stinky stuff. and shes not going to like next year her price goes up $5 a week. and i sprayed it with spectriced pro. and for Fantasy Lawns a $25 one is 1/2 the size smaller of the one i have at her place.

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

even though it wasn't your fault think of it like this:
    some guy walks by your truck and scratches it some how and walks off and you dont see him.then when you finally come to that side of your vehicle and theres a kid standing there with his bike whats the first thing you think."hey this kid scratched my truck" and now even though he didnt do it he is to blame.thats prob how she feels.you were there just before this happened so naturaly she thinks you did it. walk a mile in her shoes then explain the situation maybe she will understand.

8. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

That idea rules!

9. Frontier-Lawn

hell why dont i just charge $25 for the new plant install :D

10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I was under the impression that the primary solution to the Asian scale was to remove the plant and a substantial amount of soil with it because the roots are also a vector for the critters. And not to replant with the same thing because of possible soil contamination to the new plant.