1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To dry to aerate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Turf Manager, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

It has been very dry in our area yet I see lco's aerating lawns. Come on if you don't pull at least 2-3" plug are you giving the customer their moneys worth? I don't think so. Lets do the job the right way not just do it to make some money. If the soil is to hard you have to wait for so you can aerate the right way. What do you think?
  2. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I have been aerating lately to the people who have been calling me for it. I usually tell the customer to wet the lawn down a bit to soften up the ground(especially the fall) so that I can pull better plugs. I have seen some companies do it and not even pull anything and leave. Thats not for me.
  3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We also tend to tell our customers to water 1st , but we also use a beast of a macine it cores thru hard soil and clay, It is a tow behind 42" turfco unit and we load 160# of gupsum on top of it for added weight, we no longer use (walk behind units) except for small areas and perimeters, they take too long and dont pull out as good of a plug
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Why wait?Water and Aerate
  5. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

Well irrigation is not around here to many rocks. We have rock out croppings everywhere.
  6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

A good rule of thumb for aeration with rolling aerators is:
    Take your core sampler or a big screw driver go to several places in the lawn and push it into the lawn. If you cannot push it into the lawn you will not be able to aerate it. Now there are some dummies out there who will tell you that with a pistion type machine they can aerate the dry stuff. They can but they will beat the hell outa there machines.
    It takes a combination of weight and power to push the tine into the ground. If you cannot push a sampler or screw driver in your machine cannot push a tine it. Water the day before to soften the ground then aerate. If you are getting 2 inches plus on the holes you will be ok..Measure the holes not the plugs. Plugs tend to compact as they are expelled from the tine..Always meassure the hole to see what you are getting. At least 9 holes per sq. ft. 2 inches deep the more holes the better.