1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

to dump or not to dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by peeklandscaping, Jan 2, 2014.

1. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

may be purchasing a dump insert for short bed truck. There seems to be a lot of brands out there ie. EZ Dumper, Mayer/ Highway, Little Tipster, Truckcraft, Pathfinder, Bri-mar and probably others.
    My question: what is the one you like the most? what are strengths/ weaknesses of each? Which do you use? which wouldn't you use again?
    I'd like to get the best combination of weight/ payload/ quality/ durability. Thanks :)

2. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

If you want the best payload the truck craft, the Aluminum is lighter then steel

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Truck craft has an aluminum leaf box attachment.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I had a bri mar that was fine but now I have a flatbed with sides and a 5 ton hoist under it. Which is light years better than the insert. Almost double the cost of a steel insert though.

5. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

4 Seasons, what brand flatbed did you use? Where did you get the hoist? I'd really rather prefer a flatbed over a dump insert, but I want to know which is better in the long run.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

You'll find local fabrication places that can do all of it. Link to the place near me that did mine, http://www.heavyhaulertrailers.com/store/detail/heavy_hauler_truck_bed_66.

They make the flatbeds there and I simply had them put a dump hoist under it. Paid 4400 with tax. It's expensive compared to the mass produced off the shelf bodies. I'm currently fabbing up real dump style sides and tailgate with aluminum. And some more stabilizing pieces underneath between the truck frame and the body frame. I'll have another 1000 or so into that.

7. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

We pulled the trigger on the Alum. Truckcraft tc-150 with the leaf box option this summer and have loved it. Insert obviously stays in year round and we throw on the sides for leaf season. It weighs around 400lbs which was a big factor when we were looking for a bed to prevent taking away from the payload capacity. We like how professional it looks and would highly recommend it

[​IMG]

8. bolc5150

bolc5150 LawnSite Member

I like the leaf box Tinker. Is that an insert? I too am looking into using my personal chevy 3500 dually for a dump. But, I was told that the only way is using an insert due to frame width. I was priced a steel with over cab for $3400.00. Wondering how much more aluminum would be?

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I remember the first time I saw that TC insert and leaf box.

What is involved in putting on and removing the leaf box?

How is the pickup truck modified to install the truck insert?

10. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We went with truck craft steel.
    Aluminum was not worth the extra cost to us.
    Plus if need be we can weld on our steel as we don't have a spool gun for aluminum.
    Posted via Mobile Device