1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To Edgit or not to Edgit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jwholden, Aug 10, 2003.

1. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I bought the Edgit attachment for my weedwacker about a month ago to use for cleaning up the edges of the gardens I maintain. I thought this would make cleaning up the edge 'fool proof'. I must say that when it works it is very impressive, however, I have had some problems.

1) I have a hard time keeping a piece of string beyond the disk (it wears down quickly) and the darn disk stopped spinning after maybe 4 tanks of gas.

2) I am dissappointed with the amount of debris that goes througn the air and ends up wacking me in the face when using the weedwacker in the vertical position. I have considered using a full face shield with this thing.

3) It doesn't do normal weedwacking half as well as without the edgeit installed.

What are some other peoples opinion of this contraption. Is it a wonderful tool or not?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mines collecting dust in my garage. Was going to put it on Ebay one day. Only used it about 3 hours. Found the same to be true as you did.

Plus I use square or crossfire line. It creats TOO much VACUUM under the disc. If you try to "mow" with it, it will suck the head down to the ground and you then end up accidentally tapping the line out too far.

May be a good investment for a second trimmer. For a place that has LOTS of edging and a little trimming way far out. Use one tool to do both. But normal weed wacking/trimming with it is a WHOLE different story.

Must have a HUGE learning curve.
  3. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

I've used edgit equiped trimmers since March this year and love them. Just bought a new Redmax BCZ2400s trimmer and put one on there for my own yards.

I have some suggestions that may help with your problems.

as for the string hitting the disc...you can put 2-3 washers in between the head and shaft to push the head farther out. This still leaves plenty of thread left for the head and will stick the head out up to maybe 3/8's of an inch. If it doesn't completely solve it will greatly help it.

You should of gotten a tube of Graphite lubricant with the kit. Put a whole freakin lot on the rubber gaskets on each end and role it around. whenever it gets stiff to spin again...put a lil more on.

If you are getting hit in the face (believe me, been there) there are some things that you can do. For edging there are 4 different "techniques". 2 of then you edge from the grass. 2 others you edge from the road. Then you can go forwards or backwards. Which ever technique you use try going the other direction or from the opposite side of the edge. Also, might seem like i'm calling you an ----- but believe me, i'm not. Try backing your face away from the line that the rocks are thrown. You can hold the trimmer out and keep your body away fairly well and have minimal stuff hitting you.

I find that for normal trimming the disc actually helps me. It holds the string out straight and will not allow fishing line or vines to wrap around the head and get tangled. For the mowing part the disc will help you keep the line level so you won't gouge the grass and you can tell exactly how much you're going to cut. For the suction, we have a Fradan trimmer at work that does that worse then any of the Redmax. We don't know why, all the trimmer line heads are the same and all the discs are the same besides the mounting brackets. Try using different styles of line. Just plain round verse square or whatever you may use now.

Or then again you can just get muscles from using it and then it won't be a problem.

hope this helped.
  4. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the input.

I tried putting some of the graphite in the holes today but I'll try smearing some on the gasket as well. The washer idea may work as well. I am using the edgit on a new echo trimmer I bought with crossfire line and am having a lot of trouble with the line getting tangled and having to rewind the spool, many times. I'll try the washer trick too!

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill add my .07. I love my edgit...so much that when i wore through my first one, i was near helpless while i was waiting for my new one.

If you have a hard time with your string breaking...get Gator Magnum trimmer line. Its reinforced in the middle with the material that bullet proof vests are made of. I use it and it hardly ever breaks.

I agree that the amount of debris that hits you is incredible. Im contomplating developing a solution to it.

Ditto the advice on the washers. I had to move mine out with the washers too.
  6. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I used a T-27 for 20yrs. best weedeater ever built. I got a 260
    and edgit and hated it ,called the guy up and he said give it a chance . After a couple weeks I got used to it ,liked it so much when my 260 got stollen I bought an Echo 260 so I could get an Edgit for it . I bought an T230 and love it .
    Tip: read the directions that come with it they explain everything.
    Maintanance and how to walk forward when edging walks.
    every now and than I'll bump the head by accident just hold it up in the air a little and trim till it wears down to the disk.
    As for getting hit in the face ,thats why I love it so much after 20yrs .I get hit in the face half as much as my T27 without a gaurd on it .
    Try it for a while they really do work.
    Steve Snider
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

jI find that my disk will stick once in a hwile if it hits somthing or if it sits for a few days after being wet like over the weekend. I just give it a few spins by hand and it loosens right up. A few times I have taken the rubber O-rings out and cleaned them up a bit as they tend to get some grass build up on them. I find that the edgit is a better gaurd than anyhting the factories put on. Have you tried trimmng with your left hand on the throttle and your right hand controling where the head is? Do this and pul the trimmer behind you a bit. all the debri is thrown back when edging. I love my edgit and I will never have another trimmer without one.
  8. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

How much you want for yours?
    Bet if you start using throttle in left hand,walking fowards,youll end up liking it.Pulling the wheel behind ya 1 1/2 ft.sure the edges look better when string side is against the grass,versus the disk touching the grass but its great 4 me all around flat trimming to.i have it on a echo using red max line.Also a must 4 teaching new helpers.:)