To Employ or Not to Employ / True Cost?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petekief, Mar 15, 2006.

1. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

OK i'm a solo-op and am at a point where i need want could get some part time help. What do i need to do to do it legal AND what does it cost to pay someone 10 bucks an hour part time / taxes, insurance, etc... / whats your experience / i'm thinking i may be better of to just keep going / i've looked at it and would net substantially more an hour and be free to find more work to fill the newly available time / but i know the true cost would be higher then $10 per hour / i just don't know how much higher / some of you guys are real sharp / i have gotten some great info and advice here / please don't hesitate to respond / horror stories welcome

2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Better off to form an LLC with partners. Just make sure they are peeps you trust enough like brothers/cousins. That's how we get around the employment taxes.

3. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

It will cost about 25-50% or $12.50 to $15 per man hour. It may be better to hire a employment company. Your employee work for the employment co and you pay them per man hour. This way you do not have to pay taxes directly you pay for contracted labor. If they get hurt the claim is with the other company. If you lay off in the winter the unemployment claim is through them.