To Encore Owners: Are you Satisfied?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwanderson79, Sep 17, 2012.

1. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 LawnSite Member

Buying my first large commercial walk behind for my lawn care business and I've narrowed the choice down to the Exmark Metro or the Encore. I want to hear from those LCOs who've run the walk behinds and get your thoughts about durability and cut quality.

2. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Considering they no longer are in business i wouldn't be buying an encore unless you can wrench. Exmark walks are good, over priced as chit but good. I wouldn't buy either, look are Snapper Pro, Bobcat, Scag, Ferris.

3. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

They are both decent but I would get the Exmark as it will throw the grass better and has better handles. The pistol grips are a pain on the Encore and get caught up in chain link fences if you turn too sharply. Exmark have the best handles on walk behinds imo. And maybe look at a floating deck Exmark instead of a fixed deck. I don't like changing heights on fixed decks and getting my hands all greasy. Exmark cut quality can not be matched by an Encore either..

4. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Encore is in-fact alive. They were bought out by a Chinese company, (Worldlawn) about a year and a half ago.

Q

5. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is going to be your primary big machine, stick with the eXmark. They are proven reliable. If they do go down, eXmark does a GREAT job of making replacement parts available quickly.

Q

6. KV9064

KV9064 LawnSite Member

#1 reason not to buy Encore bought out by CHINESE, Look at a Hustler Trimstar also you can get a 48" Trimstar Hydro Floating deck for around $5000.00, But you cant go wrong with Exmark

7. 290

290 LawnSite Member

Id say exmark as well just for the handles/controls, most other walk behinds fatigue your hands on medium to large lawns.

8. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 LawnSite Member

Encore is still in business.

9. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

I have used Encores for years. Their walkbehinds are just as good, if not better built, than anything out there. As for their riders, sub par.

10. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used Ferris, Exmark, and am still running an older Encore. All were older. Like the Encore the best. Don't know about the product or the company now though and it would be a big maybe on buying a new one with the changes. I to like the Hustler Trim Star on paper. Gravely is making a competitive unit as well.