To expand or not to expand?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, May 22, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

HI,
    I have a little choice that I am trying to decide on. I have been cutting for 4 yrs. now by myself. I do about 45 to 50 accounts a week and I work a part time job in the morning. I was wondering if it was worth trying to expand my business and does the money really start to come in if I do expand? I gross in the spring time about $1300 a week cutting grass. If I expand can I increase this number by a lot ? Or will I just be creating many headaches and not much more money? Many people tell me that I am doing good enough the way I am, but I am always looking for better opportunities to better my business and myself. Thanks for any help.

52" Bunton Rider
    36" Bunton Walk behind
    16' double axle trailer
    2 echo weedwackers
    1 echo backpack
    1988 Ford F150 (work truck)
    1999 Dodge Ram (trying not to beat this one up)

Lasher66

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

If you you enjoy it than go for it. I know that I will as soon as I can work a few more things out.

3. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hi Lasher66!

First of all, we own Bunton and really love them! I noticed that at the end of your post.

As far as your decision -- what do YOU want to do with your life??? If the business is there and you want to be an LCO full time, then go for it! If you're not really sure about additional business being there, maybe keep the part time job until you've got stuff paid off and can afford to live solely off the LCO business.

Whenever we think about getting different jobs -- we just look at each other and say, "Nahhhhh." We like what we do. That is what is important! Like what you do! You've got to get up every day and do it. If you really like it, you'll make it work!!!

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

what part of Ohio are you from? I would say that if yuou expanded, you would almost double that money easily. Just keep mthe customers happy.

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Just have to ask. Why are you working a part time job when you are mowing 40-50 a week and making 1300 dollars. My wife works full time and I mow about 20 a week and we just barely make 1300 between the both of us. We live very very well on that. My goal is to have about 40 lawns a week. Anymore than that and I would be working all the time or have to hire help which is a major pain. Your situation sounds ideal. Good luck :cool:

6. lasher66

I been at UPS part time for 7 yrs now and I just cant get myself to quit. It works out pretty good because I work thier from 4am to 9am then go out and cut from about 12pm to 7pm. I am still trying to decide if I want to go full time at UPS which pays about 50k a year or try to expand this. With UPS I have pension and 401K and I guess with the lawn business you really have to put a lot away if you want to retire good. Hope I answers your question.

Lasher66

7. hlgmoney

hlgmoney LawnSite Member

I know a guy that drives for UPS and still runs a large operation. He has family working for his though. It would be hard to do I think unless you had someone you could really trust to watch it while you're at work.

8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I would think about going full time for UPS . 50000 is alot of money to make plus the pension and the 401 K would be good. I think both jobs have about the same security in todays world. Hard choice all the way around though. Lasher would the driver job be easier or harder then lawn care? How much does UPS pay part-time ? That would also make a difference on your decision.

9. lasher66

UPS is more stressfull and could also be long hours at times during the year. Part time I make about $15 an hour with benefits. I enjoy doing the lawncare business but I would hate to throw 7 yrs out the window at UPS if it has a promising career. It take about 8yrs to go full time driving at UPS.

Lasher66

10. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

LASHER--

I started UPS in 1995 working Local Sort. I have made up to $30,000/yr PART TIME! I began to get used to it and depended on it. Well, during one of those "NO ONE goes over 5 hr crunches" I realized I can never depend on any hours over the 3.5 guarentee - So I decided to start something I could control.

While being a local sorter, I built a small 6 figure lawn business. In July, last year, I finally quit UPS. I had been offered Cover driver ($18.50/hr) twice and turned it down. UPS payes well, NO doubt, but I make more now than I would as a driver and I HAVE FREEDOM!

You know how drivers work- always coming in near 7pm to 9pm, slammed all day, arguing with Sups over stops, pieces & p/u's..etc. Do they love what they do? I love what I do.

Anyway, I have 2 emloyees that both worked with me on Local. I know another Preloader who does lawns like you. I would never push someone to leave UPS, but I will serve as encouragement that it can work. You can surpass UPS if you want.

Email me if you want. Good luck