To fellow Grandstand owners....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkingforever, Mar 7, 2011.

1. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a used Grandstand today. Overall I am very pleased with the unit. My question, how long is it going to take for me to master the controls. I almost hit my wife's SUV while parking it in the garage. I know their is a learning curve for everything, but I need some rough estimates. I hope to be mowing with it in a couple of weeks. Any tips to make this process move along a little quicker would be welcomed. :)

2. freshcutter

freshcutter LawnSite Member

I know it doesn't help, but my experience says it varies. My wife helps on occasion and still has some issues, I picked it up fairly quickly, and one of the guys that helps me as needed jumped on and took off like he'd done it before. Just spend time on it. I turned the hydros half way down while learning. Good luck and enjoy the GS, I know I do!

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i would also recommend turning the hydros down with that great feature till you get the hang of it. makes the machine less responsive for just that reason.

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow down the speed control! If my wife can use it anyone can!!

5. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I did slow the speed control. It did help, once I get the hang of it, this mower should save me some time over my WB.

6. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

oh yeh, get some more get some more contracts now.

7. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

The one I demo'd was almost instantly usable with the speed dialed down about halfway. Nice feature for new users. I was able to make turns w/o tearing and hold straight lines within a couple minutes. If you're not used to hydro handles like on a ZTR, it probably takes longer as you are more used to having to manhandle the machine and push hard. Just baby it.