To fertilize or not to fertilize....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by M.C.L.C., Jun 15, 2007.

1. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

Ok guys so here is my problem.....

Here in Kansas is has pretty much been raining at least every other day and night. The temperature one day could be 70, and the next might be 95 and 100% humidity, and windy. As you all know that would be really nice conditions to live in if you were a fungus....lets say brown patch. I noticed it here and there some lawns bad some lawns not so bad yet. I got home last night and my beautiful lawn had HUGE spots in it, that had literally appeared in the 12 hours i was at work! It was then and only then i realized something...we are right in the middle of our 3rd step of fertilizer, NITROGEN!!! Wet weather, hot and humid, windy and now nitrogen. We are basically just feeding this monster. I'm now stuck with the decision to either just keep going and pray the fungus doesn't notice the boost of nitro or stop fertilizing till the weather is not so horrible. Already bout 2 weeks behind schedule however....guess just wanting some input. Thanks in advance!! :drinkup:
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you answered your own question. Why fertilize when you know its going to cause problems? The goal of any treatment program should be to improve the quality of the lawn and if fertilizer is encouraging disease, don't do it.
  3. Assuming cool season turf

Already in step three!!!! I haven't started step 2 yet...only applied .5lbs of n/m! How much n have you applied in two steps? in three steps?

How much of the n is slowly available?

cool season turf grass should receive 66-100% of nitrogen available in fall and winter
  4. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

yes cool season grass, well we do have some bermuda, we are in the transition zone. We have a six step program which may vary from yours, everybody here in town is on the third step already. We apply at 4lbs/1000sqft, this averages out to be 1lb of nitro per k. Now our first two steps are actually a split step of pendimethalin. So we are right on track as far as state laws go for lbs of nitro per k trust me we did tons of research on this subject before diving into it about 8 years ago. What month do you all start your first application there in V.A.? Thanks
  5. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

oh and to answer your other question, .5lbs is slow release .5 immediate
  6. We apply at 4lbs/1000sqft, this averages out to be 1lb of nitro per [/B

So two lbs of n/m already applied, and starting rd 3 with more n?

Too much spring n!
    What is your season total lbs/m of nitrogen?

I do 4 rds... rd 1 3-5 weeks before normal time mowing starts
    rd 2..mid june, but starting late june this year

I'm in transition season mostly grow here, but some bermunda and zoysia My program delivers only 2.75lbs of n /m...Looks like you will almost past me after your 3rd rd and have 3 more to go, and those should deliver most of your nitrogen...
  7. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

We do not put down much nit. in the spring either. 1/4 of apound per K on round 1, 1/2 pound on round 2, 1 pound on round 3 and 1.25 pounds on round 4.
  8. mclc,
    what is your zip code?
  9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Transition zone (Fescue) here as well but currently suffering from severe drought. Almost ready to go for round 4 but delaying it. I run .75 , .75 w/ umaxx, .50 w/umaxx in that order. No problems with BP (treated 12 lawns ytd with Disarm for BP). Same old Transition zone dilema but I think I would trade with you at this point. When temps begin to get above 93 or so it may get too hot for even BP to be active even with high humdity/rains. Back down on your N rate to no more than .50 lb and add 4-6% iron for some color response. The turf may need some N to help recover from injury but putting down as little as .25 N is likely to yield almost zero response on fescue.
  10. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input VEG. Always needing advice, glad to know there are people on here to help