1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$$$ to fill mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SchultzLawnCare, Apr 5, 2008.

1. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I filled up my mowers today. scorpion and warrior and it costed me 60 dollars. you know its getting bad when it cost you 60 dollars to fill 2 lawn mowers. it used to be 30. :/

do you agree?
  2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, that really blows- I can't wait to fill mine up!:help::dizzy:
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to fill up a WB for $7.00...
  4. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes I dread that all the time. We just have 2 Wright Standers to fill up. I fill them 1 time a week we mainly do landscaping but cut about 40 residental and 4 commercial properties. I wait for the gas to go down a few pennies and fill them up and when I think gas is really cheap I fill up up 6 5 gallon cans then when it goes back up 20 cents a gallon I use the containers and I do this all year saves me probally 3 or 4 hundred dollars a year doing this. But hey it all helps.
  5. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

ok I'll get rocks thrown at me but I'm gonna say this anyway. My Warrior holds 12 gallons. Now if gas goes up five cents per gallon this week it now costs me 60 cents more than it did last week. I can fill the Warrior and a five gallon can and that lasts me all week. That' s .85 more than a week ago. C'MON!!! If .85 is gonna break me I need to give this up and just work a ton of OT at my full time job! BTW, 93 octane around here is $3.50 at that rate it costs me roughly $60 in gas each week in the mower.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the problem. You're doing this as a side job.

Imagine what the guys like myself that run 80 hours / week mowing are like.

Last year my fuel bill was $13,000. 70-90 hours / week for 6 months, 1800 some odd hours just mowing, then the plowing hours and fuel for the trucks during the season.......

My Kubota ZD331 that holds 13 gallons, $36 to fill up now with off road diesel. On a long day, I can pretty much wipe that out.