To fix blower or buy new one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Mar 17, 2007.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I took my Echo pb650 in to get repaired and they told me it would be about $250 worth of repairs. The blower is about 4 yrs old and the guy at the shop said it would probably last a 2 or more years if I replace all the parts he recommended. Well, a new blower is $479, so do I repair the old one or buy a new one? Just wondering at what point you guys say its time for a new one. Thanks

Jason

2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Go buy a new one.

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

see if he will buy it from you. he could fix it and sell it. you could get $50 out if it

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Buy a new one! and if your interisted i have a pb403T for sale for $140.00:waving:

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id get a new one and sell the one that needs worked on

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Or get the same kinda mower and keep the old one for spare parts just in case you break the new one....

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what he said. If they never made another piece of echo handheld stuff I'd be fine for eternity with parts.

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

go new. Can't beat the 2 year warranty Echo gives on their Back Pack blowers.

Go with the PB755. More power, larger filter and straps.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

for the money they want to fix it buy new

10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I am curious about what needs to be repaired? I assume that $250 includes labor. Backpacks are really easy to work on / fix, can you fix it yourself?

If you still want to buy a new one, you might want to think about repairing the old one yourself anyways and keep it as a backup. If you haven't taken apart a 2-stroke engine, you will be amazed at how simple they are.

Oh, I just noticed you already have two backpack blowers. Do you use both all the time? If so, you may still want to repair (yourself if possible) the old one and keep that as the backup blower.