To float or be fixed (talking about a mower)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a big difference in the quality of cut the TORO commercial walk-behind produce? What is the difference in cut between the floating decks and fixed decks?

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I like the floating deck because I have to frequently change cutting heighth. As far as the quality of cut, I have never heard of a difference between the two.

3. Howie's Lawn Care

What does floating decks have to do with changing height? A fixed deck has height adjustment too, right?

4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

floating has pins to raise or lower
    fixed has 3 bolts on each side to take out to raise or lower it.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Not scag fixed, i was raised on a floating decks we bought 2 scags this year was not sure if i would like the change i was fooled pulling the spacers are a breeze.

6. Frontier-Lawn

7. Frontier-Lawn

8. Howie's Lawn Care

Is floating much more productive because of the easier height adjustment?

9. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I can adjust the height on my 48" exmark fixed deck in no time with a jack stand and a pair of gloves. The spacers are very easy to adjust. It is not necessary to adjust the bolts in the back of the deck.

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

not really, unless you cut some lawns at two inches and other at 3" and still others at 3.5".

I would try to get all the lawns at the same height, even if you had a floating deck. I've almost scalped some lawns when I forgot to raise the deck pin. lucky I started in the back that day.

I really wouldn't worry about fix/floating on a walkbehind as far as cut issures go, because mose of them go slow enough that you can see a bump or hill crest coming, and "float" the deck by lightly pushing, or pulling back on the handles to float the deck over.