To franchise or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by frank's lawncare, Dec 18, 2003.

1. frank's lawncare

frank's lawncare LawnSite Member
    from PA

I was just wondering how many people out there buya franchise.for example(u.s.lawns) they are just about cutting, trimming. I dont thing they get into hydroseeding and that kind of stuff like that but i was wondering if it would be good to get into some thing like that because the name has a reputation and a way of doing every thing there way. or am i just wasting my time and should i just stick what i have and do things my way.

thanks,

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why in the world would you put up like 30 or 40 grand for a LCO franchise? Seems to me that money would be better spent on marketing ideas, advertising, new equipment acquisition, etc., than buying a "name" IMO...

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto. You can go a long way spending 30 grand for advertising. If you are going to start a business, why start one where you can't even be the boss?

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Frank, Franchise have their place, however I am just not to sure how well it would fair you on the financial end of things. Lawn Care is Lawn Care. Your either mowing well or not. A fanchise is good for some things but the start up cost is not worth it. One thing I would check into if your serious is ask for people you may talk to who have purchased a franchise from US Lawns and see if they feel it was worth it.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Frank,

Here is a post that discusses U.S. Lawns in a little more detail and could help refer you to someone that operates as a franchisee.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Frank-I think the main reason we all started our own businesses was to be "our own boss". I don't think I could write a $30-40K check to start at the bottom of the food chain again just to have a corp. name on my trucks. I agree with Rodfather, spend some cash on marketing and advertising.You'll get more for your money in the grand scheme of things. Merry Christmas all!!!!!

7. frank's lawncare

frank's lawncare LawnSite Member
    from PA

thank you everyone for your input i am glad i had asked the pros before i made a big mistake.and i think i will take everyone's advice and go with the marketing plan.

thanks again

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's all you're paying for- is for someone to market for you. That's a double edged sword, though. If you put 1/10 of that into marketing for yourself, you'd be dangerous (with so much work). I mean REAL work - that PAYS.
    Franchises are ok, if you are going into something that you cannot provide if not FOR the particular franchise. For instance McDonalds. YOU can NOT sell Big Macs unless you are indeed, a McD's. You are not going to to sell peanut buster parfaits, unless you are a Dairy Queen. You are not going to sell a whopper, unless you are a Burger King, and you are not going to sell a single w/ chees - along with a chocolate frosty, unless you are a Wendy's.
    Well with lawn care, I am sorry, but there IS no such thing as a U.S. Lawns mowing - by which no other mowing could be that way, unless it was another U.S. Lawns.
    Now, for the OTHER edge of this ("double edged") sword. If you are doing your quota of regularly scheduled work, and the corp. of course, is getting their take on it, and along comes some extra work (say a clean-up, extra 1 time mowing, tree job, etc.), guess what? Do you get to take this work to do on your own? NOPE. That belongs to the company. So, even extra work that comes your way, you are paying into the corp. for just to do. There IS no extra money done on weekends or any other time that you can benefit from 100%. They always own a small part of you.