To get a diesel or not to get a diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John P., Mar 6, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I'M in the market for a new truck this season and come to a fork in the road each time i think about it...........Diesel or gas that is my #1 problem and has been on my mind for a long time with the diesel prices going up will it even make that big of a deal with fuel millage? And the cost to fix diesel?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think it depends on the load on the trailer if ya need a diesel or not or should I say invest in the price of a diesel

3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

a lot of variables come into play in your equation. Do you drive many miles? Is it a lot of starting and stopping? I think overall maintenance on diesels if significantly less, just drive it forever.

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

With the price of diesel here, about .25 per gallon higher than gas, it does'nt seem worth while anymore unless you are going to put a lot of miles on it. I bought a new diesel in 2000 and 5 years later have 54K on it. So I don't think it has saved me much. The last new one I bought, I got a gas motor for $6K less than the PSD would have been.

5. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

I personaly would go with a diesel over gas`any day of the week ,more power more torque better fuel economy and cheaper cost per liter or gallon,that is until i noticed the price of diesel latley.
    I ordered a new ford f350 lariatte dually diesel in January and expect it to show up this week .When i ordered the truck i was paying between $.69 to $.72 a liter thats about $2.70 /$2.80 a gallon,and now in eary march i see diesel prices running in the low .90's while gas prices are dropping daily.

It's a shame when you spend that much money on a truck and also pay a huge premium on the motor and get totally screwed at the pumps .

I think you have to wiegh your pros and cons against each other and decide if it's worth to you to pay the extra premiums of having a diesel or not.

Good Luck

Ajmctree

6. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

I was also going to mention as i'm sure you know FORD is the only way to go if you decide on getting a new diesel.(ha,ha,ha)

Ajmctree

7. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i hear fords are good, but i would not be getting a new one i have been looking into GM trucks with the 6.5

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

depends if you want to run the wheels off it or trade off in a couple years, if your going to turn over every 3 to 5 years go gas if your gonna run the wheels off go power stroking. see my current thread about my mileage sucks,
    I still love my powerstoke and i just keep pouring the fuel to it cause i ain't about to get rid of all that power.

9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys with diesel take the smell? That smell is atrocious sitting behind one at a light. Probably causes cancer/lung disease.

Do you smell that stuff with your windows down at a light?

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

love the smell of diesel :waving:
    its really overpowering on a cold start or during warm up.