TO get big quick

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by smarino21, May 18, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I heard someone saying to get big in lawn buz you have to be cheap then you get big?
    what you guys think?
  2. whats big ?
  3. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

To get your bank account BIG, you need a plan....of which cheap pricing should not be a part of.
  4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Uh lotsa' shiny new equipment and work cheap...its a fool proof recipe for success!

Okay, here is what I really think...
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As for low-balling / being cheap, don't do it because you only hurt yourself, better off starting nice and slow, yes it is old fashioned but it works. No I am sorry but we're all out of the secret magic formula right now.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

getting big too quick is a recipe for disater!!! It's better to get sizable but managable chunks of work, rather than just blow up.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen it and experienced it. All it creates is a mess, and you won't make any money or retain any long term customers. It'll just "Look Good" if you know what I mean. If your talking about maowing, take it one step at a time year one 30-50 accts, then 50-90 then 90-120 etc.
  8. Landscapes-r-us

Landscapes-r-us LawnSite Member

I got big quick and all because of my advertising strategy. I had like 10 accounts one day and two days later had 45 accounts. :)

BUT, I was prepared for it and had help on reserve just in case it got out of hand. Luckily I can work solo for night now but next year I'm gonna hire a crew and expand to 100 accounts.
    Oh and I have a commercial account that pays over $30,000 a year for 3 days worth of work!!! :) :)
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Big is deceiving. As you grow you need your profits for growth so even when you are making money you don't see it in your bank account. Your net worth just grows but much of that is tied up in declining assets like vehicles and equipment.

The real value in a large business is if it has value to sell as a business not including land. It is paying for land which is appreciating in value. It is providing you a lifestyle that requires little work to maintain because you have others doing the work for you and you do what you like when you like and draw a decent salary all the while.

You don't start to see $$ in the bank until you reach your desired size and quit buying new stuff. Most of our ego's wont allow that though, everyone thinks bigger is better.

The reason the biggies can charge less is just good business. Your efficient, you have more guys in the field so you don't have to make as much on each one. You have a shop and mechanics full time to do your own maintenance and repair so you don't have to pay another companies profits for that. You are getting breaks on purchases and services because of your volume Its a whole different animal.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

To me, big is all about the money (profit) and nothing else. If all else is growing but not the wallet- that is not big.

So to me getting big has nothing to do with selling my time cheap --Does not compute!