1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

to good to be true?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cutbetterthanyou, Feb 15, 2007.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone heard of "the royal empress" tree i was looking thru a home and garden mag and they are in the back. It says that they grow in any soil and grow 12 feet a season.Is it to good to be true? Do they get ugly or put off odor at some point in the year? If any one has experience w/ one let me know
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

3. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I saw that ad. It looked like a Paulownia tomentosa to me.
    If so it a nice, big shade tree. Similar in growth, form, and foliage to a Catalpa.
    Keep in mind that fast growing= big honking tree. I have seen these things with 60 foot spreads on them
  4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

5. cutbetterthanyou

I looked it up it is a Paulownia tomentosa . As far as the size that is what I am looking for. And you say tell are short lived how many years do you think? Do you know if it has any major down falls like nasty fruit, bad smell,gets ugly a certain part of the year,etc. I have never seen one and I would trust the opinion of someone who has used these trees over someone trying to make a buck selling them.
  6. cutbetterthanyou

Is it consider invasive because it grows so fast it takes over what is around it, or because it greatly reproduces and a bunch of them take over an area? And by weaker more pron to disease, or the actual wood is weak and the tree will break?
  7. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

One tree will become a thicket or clump - I just finished an install that had empress trees in the front of the lot. The homeowner had been told that they were catalpas and wanted them removed - didn't want worms in her trees . They were dormant and did look much like a catalpa , but the seed pod clusters are unique to paulownia . The trees were growing outward from the original plant in a circular pattern - probably 25 to 30 offspring . I suggested incorporating at least the tallest specimen into the landscape plan and told them the history of the plant , which is quite interesting. They didn't buy it so we eliminated them . It is a unique tree , beautiful blooms , very fast growing but if not carefully controlled could be growing everywhere over time.