To guard or not to guard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by armyofgoodmusic, May 17, 2010.

1. armyofgoodmusic

armyofgoodmusic LawnSite Member

Hey guys...i see almost all LCO's remove the guards or shields from their trimmers. What is the benefit to taking it off? Just wondering if you can sell me as to why i need to take mine off too.

2. afd226

afd226 LawnSite Member

Trim a wider area but the trimmer has got to be strong enough to make it look good.

3. --- weight ---

4. HulkXD

HulkXD LawnSite Member

wider discharge of cut grass so it doesn't clump up as bad.

5. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

None of the LCO's in this area run guards--and I mean none! I'm a part timer, but after going guardless for a few years, this year my grandson/mowing partner shamed me into putting the guards back on (telling me "you know pops, it's safer with guards on"). Admitedly, I never ran my line out long, but it did take a while for the guard to feel right, and yes, it's heavier. Last week, I used my Shin 270 (without guard) to trim a ditch--it just didn't feel good, and there was a definite difference in the stuff hitting my legs. I'm now looking for a guard for my 270.

Yes, I know this doesn't help convince you to take off the guards!!!!!

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

My guards come off the trimmer the day I buy them, and never go back on, unless someone working for me prefers to use them, and I keep them in the truck in case. They trim so much better without them on, and you can run a super long line and cut your trimming time in half, plus it is easier to get around things, as you can hit stuff with the back side too. I am used to the extra debris thrown up by it now too, but sometimes, it will throw a big rock or chunk of dirt that catches me good!

7. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of guys on the board here have said that running without a guard can be
    bad for your clutch; and since the engine is running slower from having all that
    string out, it causes excessive carbon build up in the ports too.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been without guards on the trimmers since the 90's. No harm, no foul to the trimmers. Lighter weight. Better visibility. Easier to trim all around. The safety aspect of the guard is extremely limited anyway. Usually if you break a window with a rock from the trimmer the window is in front of you, not behind you where the guard would have prevented it.

9. Tom'sLandscapeDesign

Tom'sLandscapeDesign LawnSite Member

OSHA isnt too keen on gaurdless trimmers.

10. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I was thinking. My insurance company wouldn't be to happy if they knew I was purposely endangering people.