1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

to heck with sharpening blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Aug 18, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a local guy here that i have started using .he will sharpen blades for $3.00 each .i figure for 3 bucks and i dont have to be out after dark every other night sharpening blades it is well worth it . i give him 12 to 15 blades per week and he does a heck of a job .
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, but after every third sharpening you have just spent enough to have bought a brand new set of aftermarket blades.
  3. MountainMow

MountainMow LawnSite Member

The way I see it my time is worth something too....especially after normal business hours :)
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

After about 80 times you just paid as much as a magnamatic.
  5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That many blades I would say get a blade grinder.
  6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on how many weeks are in your season (32 - 35 here) your looking at over $450 for season. Nothing like throwing money out the window
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Well a little news flash here. If you own the co then you had better be ready to do lots of things you don't get paid for. If your paying $9 for every set of blades to be sharpened in 2 weeks you could buy a new set.:dizzy:
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You guys need to try some high quality Marbane steel blades.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

My guy sharpens blades for 2 bucks a blade. Now I spend 6 dollars/set right? I spend 8 dollars for diesel to get to the guy right? Now at 15 bucks a set how is that worthwhile for me when I can bust out the bench grinder and waste no time or money sharpening them myself.

12-15 blades a week? Buy a magnamatic and make one of your employees sharpen them after work.
  10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

What ,they never need sharpened:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: