To high of bid?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnboy349, Mar 24, 2007.

1. lawnboy349

lawnboy349 LawnSite Member

I went to bid a job today for one of my mowing customers from last year. They wanted a spring cleanup, and the mulch beds weeded and the shrubs in there pruned. Also they wanted me to put new mulch down. The area I would have to put the new mulch in was 582 sq. feet and they want it 3" deep. I figured I would need about 5.4 cubic yards so I charged $432 for that, figuring $80 per cubic yard to put down it down and buy it. Then for the weeding, pruning and general cleanup I charged an additional $300 plus a $30 dump fee. So the total came up to $762. The man said that this was higher than he expected and that he was going to do some research on pricing and get back to me. Was this bid high? I know you can't really tell me about the general cleanup without seeing pictures, but how about just the $432 for putting in new mulch? Thank you for your responses

2. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I worked the numbers, and my bid would have been $435. Mulch installed @ $60/yard for 6 yards plus $75 delivery.

But I'm never the lowest bidder...

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area the mulch part would be about $350 and my normal cleanup averages $150 so I would have been close to $500. But this is in my area not sure how pricing is where your at.

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I priced it for fun and I guessed about 660.

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

price around here would be around 550-600

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Your # seem right for a profit in my area, mulch @ $75 a yard installing a little cheaper.

7. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your bid is perfect in my area.

8. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

$65.00/cubic yard installed here.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

80 per yard seems a little high to me but hey if you can get that great. We charge between 65-70 per yard and we pay around 14-15 for it.

Cleaning up an area that's ~20x30 I would figure about three men in an hour to weed the bed, prune , edge the bed and the like. $65 for trimming-1hr, $40 per hour for two men, 75 removal fee. My 'cleanup' fee I would guestimate @ $210. Total bill in the 600 range.

I don't think you are that far off...if at all.

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Depends on the Mulch selected but 60 per yard installed plus delivery is a decent price for the native wood.

We also get a typical $150 for a front clean up but we have small lots around here.

If we are mulching I just weed eat down to the ground. Put down some pre-emergent then mulch it. I can then hit a few weeks later with a little round up when I am mowing if the weeds come back.

I then start selling them a weed control program and fertilization to go with mowing.