1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To Hire or Not? Survey Says

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Az Gardener, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Need some advise on this one. A former but brief employee (2-months) quit and wants to come back to work for me. Problem is I think he is bi-polar and I'm almost positive he is a functioning alcoholic. Sounds like an easy decision except he is very personable, clean cut, good hygiene, and above all talented he has a good eye for design he knows plant varieties and the clients love him. There is a lot of other baggage that is to petty to get into but he is a challenge to employ. I desperately need someone of his caliber but have been unable to find anyone. And he works cheap. He has called back several times and apologized. I hired him back one time (two weeks ago) and I went to pick him up and he smelled of alcohol (gin) and I asked him about the smell, he said he had been drinking the night before and didn't realize he smelled. He was clear eyed and did not seem impaired. I told him I could not have him smelling like that at work. In his prior employment I never smelled any thing and he was never late and only missed one day and called in the night before. He will not be driving a truck or operating machinery, just planting flowers and modifying irrigation in flower beds. What say you ?
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hand him a breath mint, a bottle of Fabreeze (sp?), a little shovel and put him to work!
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Tough call and don't really know if there is a correct answer. You'll have to be your own worst critic and use your best judgment.

I was assigned a helper one time who had a reputation as being somewhat "quantity challenged" and everyone was amazed that we got so much done. I just realized his capabilities and assigned him tasks that he could easily handle and that allowed me to get more done.
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blob2:
  5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I would hire him. I would love to find a guy that would want to work and be good with customers. Just make sure hes not drunk.
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it depends on how desperate you are. Guys like this will usually be okay for 2 weeks at best till they hang themselves. He may help you through a tough period. We refer to them as "disposable band-aids". Just how it is. Remember a lot of times we don't get the bottom of the barrel, we get whats under it.

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

my name is on the side of the trucks and i wouldnt knowingly hire someone back that could potentialy tarnish my name ..bi polar and alcohol, no way
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds like he can't take care of himself. If HE can't count on HIM, how can I.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I dont care how good a worker he is, alcohol and bi polar, Noooo, I would pass on him. I had a renter with bi polar and I dont ever want to deal with someone with that crap again!
  10. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

But if you want to do some charitable deed, pick a person that admits they have a problem.........The guys a Handful, as soon as you start to depend on him hell fall flat on his face.......it happenes to all of us.....Once I tried picken a "Bum" off the street on a rainy day.....its a long story, but not everybody needs to work for you....Good Luck.....:angel: