To hire or not to hire

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gobblet, Jan 29, 2008.

1. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

I worked solo last year after getting out of a partnership of 5 years. All went well the work was hard and long but money was good. I'm in my early 30's and getting older every year. I was wondering if I should do one more solo year and get out of debt, or hire this guy who wants to work with me.

I will have to get more work cause what I have now is just enough for me. (can't always assume you will always get more customers when advertising)

I will also have to pay this guy 12-15 per hour. (and if the advertising does not pay off neither will he)

So basically get out of debt (about 6,000) not counting loans?
    Or hope for the best with advertising and being able to afford and employee.

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds to me like you know your answer already,i personally would attack this year alone and wait to see if you really need someone else.Why pay peter when paul has it under control?

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

If your bringing in good money and almost at your peak work load, advertise and get more work then hire him on part time. I'm one for slow steps, not big leaps.

This year I'm hoping to get more work then i can handle and hire a part timer. Then next year get enough to make him full time and eventually add another worker. Just seems easier that way for me.

4. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

I agree with the baby steps...take it slow...wait and see how it goes. You should know pretty quickly if your going to need help. I am on year 4 solo and torture myself every year wanting to hire, but not wanting to hire. This year, I hope to hire PT but we'll see how it goes. If I can handle it, I will. I feel like I should do it while I can. I am also in my early 30's and know how you feel. Just can't move like I could when I was 20, and know I will not be able to run solo forever, but would if I could earning this kind of $$

5. Meehan47

Meehan47 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Gobblet,

I sent you a PM a few weeks ago. Did you ever get it? I was searching for "dump bed inserts" and saw that you were trying to sell yours a while back. Are you still interested in selling it?

6. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I want to hire part-time but I can already see what is gonna happen, who wants a part-time job. If you know something about part-time help I don't please let me know? Everyone I know personally have full time jobs and can't help me on their days off.

Can you give me your opinions on part-time help. Any luck when advertising for part-time help?

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

People that work nights or evening shifts sometimes look for part time work. I know right now with the way the economy is, alot of people are taking on a second part time job.

Plus if you weed through, you might actually find better workers with just part time. Full time guys working in this industry tend to be less motivated and educated (to put it nicely), in other words they're lazy. But if you get a part timer that has a full time job in other line of work, your chances of getting someone halfway decent are pretty good.

I have quite a few people lined up already. Friends and family have people they work with that look for extra jobs so when the time comes I just put the word out and I'll be able to get the help.

8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that part timers tend to be LESS dependable. I mean, they already have a job, so if you fire them for not showing up...big deal. They don't need you to survive. If their main employer needs them for OT, and you need them for labor, where do you think they are going to go?

Full timers aren't reliable for the reasons listed in other posts....i.e. lazy.

I have lost customers due to poor employees. I cannot get any larger without them.

9. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Like others have said, I would take it easy, see how well you are doing solo for a few weeks, and then make a decision. You will soon know if you need a full timer or a part timer. Your best bets for a part timer is a younger guy who still lives at home (not as many bills). I use high schoolers when I need them for part time work. This usually works out good because they seem to need off a few days a week to do kid stuff anyway.

I have always found that the local highschool is more than happy to put up a message on a bulletin board for me.

But, it is improtant to find someone who will actually help you and not be a slow poke. Think highschool farm boys.

I would be wary of the 35 year old looking for part time work. Seems like a slacker who may be looking to get hurt and blame you.

10. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

If you need a part timer, advertise for one. Don't assume to know how people will be before you meet them. Not everyone works Monday to Friday, you may find someone that has Monday and Tuesday off. If you do, schedule your heavy days for when you have a helper.

"I would be wary of the 35 year old looking for part time work. Seems like a slacker who may be looking to get hurt and blame you."

I don't now whether to laugh or be offended?